• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK, put me in a cooling system please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rumrunner

What is hot right now as far as cooling goes? I do not need the schmanscy high dollar set-up, yet I am not setting an exact price limit. Tecs seem interesting to me. That negative degree refridgeration seems too expensive. I am a complete noob at this, except for reading the TEC sticky. Again, what I am looking for is a competitive system that is well priced.

get a 'set' from some well known manufacturer.. swiftech or dangerden. don't go cheap on the pelt.

most of the time though you'd better off spending your money elsewhere as far as performance goes.

unless you're doing it for fun hehehe.. I got a 226w pelt + block assembly set coming for me hehehe.

and if you're paying for your own electricity the fridge coolers might very well end up being cheaper in the long run. but they're hideously expensive where i live(600-700+ euros).

I do know that I want extreme cooling. I do know that performance can be better seen by spending money on an FX processor, but I look at it as an investment because this cooling system will last me through all of my future upgrades too.

So do you think any tec can compare to a prometia in overal performance? What is a vapochill?

Also, I read that just the act of making a chip cold gives it better properties and can see as much as 2 - 3% improvement for every 10C. Can you guys vouch for that?

rob 119 said:
I do know that I want extreme cooling. I do know that performance can be better seen by spending money on an FX processor, but I look at it as an investment because this cooling system will last me through all of my future upgrades too.

So do you think any tec can compare to a prometia in overal performance? What is a vapochill?

Also, I read that just the act of making a chip cold gives it better properties and can see as much as 2 - 3% improvement for every 10C. Can you guys vouch for that?

unless you raise the mhz the chip wont be any faster, so there's no point in making it cold just for coldness sake.

vapos and promethias and other such refrigation coolers are basically the same all, using method like usually found in fridges to pump the heat. generally they offer better efficiency

for the pelt.. you'll need a good watercooling setup. which is why I'd recommend those pre-made assemblies with proper coldplate attachments.. I went with a swiftech one that fits my socket a mobo, comes with insulation kit as well(I got some dielectric grease as well to fill the socket).

You'll also need a PSU for the monster, I'm trying my luck with some pc psu's i got around first(I got one with enough amperage on the 12v line but i'm kind of skeptical about it holding up but we'll see).

got my 226w coming in few days... I'll surely post how it went.

Good luck to you I look forward to seeing your pics.

Does anyone else have any experience to share with artic cooling? If I were to slap a promethia on my rig, how much gain do you think I would be able to accomplish (from the temperature change alone) without even increasing the voltage?

truthfully unless you're lucky, none. Winchesters don't seem to like sub-zero temps. Over at xtremesystems some guys tested like 6+ winnies on one board, 1-2 would work, the others wouldn't. I'd go more into detail but I need to go :beer:

Vio1 said:
Sounds like you should get a water cooling setup.

How does your vapochill work (in a nut shell)? How cold do your temps get? And how much was your setup?

Last edited:
you can read alot of user experinces with vapochills in the forums @ www.vapochill.com

they basicly work the same way your refrigerator/home or window airconditioner would with the main diffrence being that rather than having the evaporator cool the chest as in a fridge, or the air that would pass over it in an airconditioner it cools the cpu.

the vapochills and prometias are a little more solid than a traditional tec setup imho. they come packaged with the proper gaskets and dielectric grease as well as a heater for the clamshell (the piece that holds the evap head to the cpu) and the rear of the motherboard directly behind the cpu socket.

the drawback to these are the prices that come with them. a brand new typical vapochill ls will run you around 820$ usd. if you search around you can find used prometias and older model/style vapochill units that are on ebay and various oc orientated forums like the classifieds here for quite a bit less.

the temps you see from a vapochill to a mach I or II can vary dependant on what cpu you are cooling with it, what type of refrigerant is being used in the system, the airflow crossing the condensor coil and compressor and ambient temperatures in your room. typically people will see apprx -40c to -50c on the evap head and anywhere from -15c to -25c on the cpu (this varies with load as well and is just an approximation)

all and all with a powerfull enough tec solution you can get to alot of these same temperatures the biggest factors there would be the proper sizing and power of the tec (an example would be a 80w tec on a highly oc prescott with crappy psu wouldnt help much at all) and the ability to remove the heat generated by the hot side of the tec effectively enough.

the thing you may need to think about though is as gl4ss mentioned the tecs arent known for efficency and can run your electric bill up at a decent pace.

since ive installed my vapochill ive run it for the most part 24/7 over the past few months even with winters onset my electric side of my power bill has only gone up like 10-15$ which isnt bad at all for my neck of the woods maybe someone who runs a powerful tec (like 226w ish) or runs multiple tecs could share thier power usage costs with us.

Thanks for that. I am starting to lean towards a refidgerated system. I may look into custom building one too. How much do you think I could pick up a used prommy for?

Have you ever thought of this: cooling is something that you can keep through many upgrades!

rob 119 said:
Have you ever thought of this: cooling is something that you can keep through many upgrades!

yes ive thought that quite a few times. one of the benefits of the vapochill system is their clamshell that will work on socket 478/754/939 systems they have another head that will work for the 775 chips as well.

you can usually find a used prometia on ebay for like 400 to 500$ usd just depends on what exactly your looking for.

hawtrawkr said:
yes ive thought that quite a few times. one of the benefits of the vapochill system is their clamshell that will work on socket 478/754/939 systems they have another head that will work for the 775 chips as well.

you can usually find a used prometia on ebay for like 400 to 500$ usd just depends on what exactly your looking for.

Sounds good. Thanks!

Back