• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU requirements for 226 W Peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melraidin

Registered
I've been looking at putting one of these (226 W Peltier): http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=85&cat=30&page=1
onto my CPU (Athlon 64).

Just wondering about power requirements though. The specs listed on that page say the Peltier draws 24 A at 15.2 V. So by my calculations it should draw about 19 A at 12 V. Does this seem correct?

Right now I've got an Ultra XConnect 500 W PSU powering an 80 W Peltier (about 6-8 A), a DVD burner, a Switfech pump, and a few fans. So if I'm right and the 226 W Peltier would draw around 19 A, then it seems like I'm within (though close) to my PSU's rated limit at 12 V of 34 A.

Am I right with my reasoning here, or am I just having a drawn out brainfart?

It will not run right on that psu of urs that is asking a lot and also if you run it at 12 volts 19 amps that is not 226 watts that is (using ohms law VxI=P) well lol it 228 watts so that mean that the original one is over 350 (guessing) BUT then you have to figure in efficiency either way you will need a new or second PSU...

Ah, but the wattage rating of a Peltier is based off Qmax (heat differential, different kinda Watts).

Yes, that is true lol but all in all i really dont think that your psu can handle that much load...just get a cheap second PSU...or maybe try it and it "might" work...idk how well those PSU work at full load or close to it...it might be just enough to start to load it down...give it a try and if you start to have stability problem then get a "bigger" psu like the one in my sig or just get a "cheap" one with like 24A on the 12 volt rail...

LOL btw i should have know that i go to school for this stuff "tech elec"

Yep, just gonna post one new thread to see if anyone can tell me the current draw of a 226 W Peltier at 12 V, see if someone can provide that info. If not I guess I'll just have to try it and see.

Back