• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

high pitched whine after installing vantec nexus nxp-205 fan controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigspice

after installing this fan controller i noticed a high pitched whine coming from it. it is slightly audible but can be very irritating. is this normal? has anyone else noticed this? should I return it for another one?
thanks

I would return it yes. There have been other posts regarding this same issue as well.

I use them myself, but I have never encountered this problem personally.

so what's a good one to use? nothing too complicated. i heard sunbeam was good, I think I am now open to both 3.5 and 5.25" options.
any suggestions? thanks

as i hear, vantecs are known for that... i have installed 3 of them, all are noisy. of course, some ppl can hear it, some can't. also, it sort of depends on what you install it in. a solid steel case with plastic face plates would probably block some of it. an aluminum case - not likely.

this one:

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=1810&cat=42&page=1

is supposed to be similar in design yet much quieter. or just use those little zalman controllers for each fan. sunbeams are quiet as well, btw, but don't put them in a system you build for someone else - they go from 12v to 0. wouldn't want that someone frying their new system :p .

i got pretty good ears, i can't hear mine, i got one of the later one though, my store sale them out pretty quick and they keep restocking them, you might have grab the earlier version that has the high pitch, i think they fixed it later.

turn everything to 7v and put your ear to it... but i do hope they fixed the hummmmm, it's really annoing.

in the previous post i mentioned that this one:

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/pr...0&cat=42&page=1

is suppose to be silent...

it is. i just put it in instead of the vantec controller ("pc toys" brand) and the whine went away.

this is nice :p. now i have to figure out what to put in instead of antec 120mm fans as the next step of making my system quieter.

mine whines, but not that bad - my fans that it controlls drown out the noise

i'm getting some sunbeam ones next time

i found out where the whine is, today i got bore (even though there's tons of paper to write). So I wipped out the nexus fan control and my testing PSU and i tested a couple of fans ranging from 80mm to 120mm, the whine is comming from ur fan's motor, the 120mm nexus fans that i tested didn't make any noise, the zalman 92mm made alot of noise at full speed, but at 3V that thing barely move lol and the noise kindda droped alot after 5V for most fans, alof of the 80mm fans whine like crazy, even at the lowest setting. (PS i was able to use the fan control to knock it down to 3V because i had a zalman fan mate that knock everything down to 5V before i connect it to the nexus vantec)

Back