• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

full load won't hurt lifespan of chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dark_15 said:
I think it has something to do with constant temps = less stress...

It's this reason. Constant (not too hot) temperatures tend to give electronics a decent life.

One thing it also used to help with (back in the day) was it would cut down on "chip creep" but that's not so much an issue now most chips are soldered on or pinned down with heatsinks.

Also by the time any of my computers have came close to dieing they are horribly outdated so I say who cares.

Light bulbs burn out because of voltage irregularities and age usually... This is why they burn out usually when turned on, when the voltage spikes.

Even and consistent is much better than constantly changing and powering up and powering down - this is why its better for electronics in general to always remain running.

that article sounded like something straight out of the left handed liberal wacko handbook...

about this enviroment deal first they say our SUV's and our gas burning vars, our oil burning furnaces..and otehr enternal combustion engine "things" will emit harmefull greenhouse gasses. this has been backed up by mound and mounds od scientific reasearch..I am here to tell you that a new research was released as little as three weeks ago. it is part of the on going "enviromental" research..anyways the basics of it said that the burnt fossile fules release a sculfuric particle that actually BLOCKS harmfull solar radiation, and that if these particles aren't being produced the raiforest and other lush growth enviroments would be baren wastelands of desert.

the point of this is..for every negative thing we find we also will find a positive. Humans are foolish if we thing we have any, and i mean ANY, excating power over our atmsophere. thats allin God's hands. I have yet to see where man can predict the weather, much less effect it.

I am sorry about the preaching, but that article iritated me to no end!

Ah don't let it get to you, the author is plainly a goofball. :)

!

Seven said:
Wow. Don't be one of those kids who will go out and buy a new skateboard, then refuse to do rails with it because "it's too nice". Come on, CPUs were meant to be used. You'll be getting rid of it in 5 years, and the MOST it will last is about 15. However much difference it makes is about 0.

Quick question to solve the matter: Do you still have an 8088 rig running today?

NO WAY!!! My Commodore 64 from over 20 years ago still runs great. Burns rubber a 1 MHz! Got me a tape (standard audio cassette tape) drive for it, too. I've got a working Pentium 200, and before that I had a working AMD 50MHz, but my parents made me trash it.

FizzledFiend said:
about this enviroment deal first they say our SUV's and our gas burning vars, our oil burning furnaces..and otehr enternal combustion engine "things" will emit harmefull greenhouse gasses. this has been backed up by mound and mounds od scientific reasearch..I am here to tell you that a new research was released as little as three weeks ago. it is part of the on going "enviromental" research..anyways the basics of it said that the burnt fossile fules release a sculfuric particle that actually BLOCKS harmfull solar radiation, and that if these particles aren't being produced the raiforest and other lush growth enviroments would be baren wastelands of desert.

-Brought to you by FizzleFiend, a subsidiary of Halliburton.

:)

Back