• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting an average of two columns in Excel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

I feel really stupid asking two of these horrific types of questions in a day, but I have spent a great deal of time through google, the help feature, and books. I think it is time to ask. :(

I am trying to average two columns of data to get a third. Here is an example:

A B C
5 4
2 2
3 4
3 4
6 3
7 3
4 7
5 8
6 6
7 4
4 9
5 4
6 1
7 9
3 7
1 5
3 6
8 4
9 9

Is there a way I can get it to average the number in A and the number in B and display it in C? What about if I had more, could I get it to average the number in A, B, C, and D and get it to display in E?

On top of that, could I also get an average for all the numbers together?

Thanks a bunch guys.

put this into C1 =AVERAGE(A1,B1)
that would avg A1 and B1

if you want several colums use =AVERAGE(A1:C1)
that would avg A1 to C1

Great! Thanks.

EDIT: Hmm, I still can't get that to work. Plus, I think even if I got that to work, wouldn't it just do the data in A1 to B1 to C1? I have these huge ones that go down to about 100.

figured it out yet? if not, this is what i do..

say you have data in columns a, b, and c, and you want to put the average of abc into column d.
a b c d
1 2 3

in cell (square) D1, type:

=average(

then with your mouse, select and highlight cells (squares) A1, B1, and C1. They should be surrounded by the dancing dotted line. When that's done, type

)

to close it off, then hit enter. Hence, cell D1 should read

=average(A1:C1)

so in my example, my excel sheet would read

a b c d
1 2 3 2

Now, to apply that to all the cells, you can just CTRL-C (copy) on cell D1, highlight the cells in column D that you want to average, then CTRL-V (paste).
Since you have about 100 rows in the column, I'd do it this way.

OR, if you notice when you highlight cell D1, there's a square on the bottom right of that cell. If you hover your mouse over it, the mouse icon changes from a big fat white cross, to a smaller black skinny cross. When the icon changes, click and drag down your mouse, then let go. It's the same thing as copy paste.

cool :)0 there are other math functions you can use. use "help" in excel to search for "functions", and it'll give you a whole bunch! lemme know if you need anything else. when i started off with excel a couple years ago i didn't have a clue, other than the spreadsheets reminded me of graph paper. heheh.

Back