• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to use to insulate water chiller pipes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukemurmur

I have been looking at Neoprene and Buna "n" and plain on "sewing" it together to make a tight fitting sleeve to stop condensation but my REAL question is what thickness to use to stop the condensation from forming on them and what one to use...As I now know where I can get them just what one to use the water will “probably” be below -20 if all goes well…and I don’t want the pipes to look all BIG and GOMMY looking from it….

Dukemurmur said:
I have been looking at Neoprene and Buna "n" and plain on "sewing" it together to make a tight fitting sleeve to stop condensation but my REAL question is what thickness to use to stop the condensation from forming on them and what one to use...As I now know where I can get them just what one to use the water will “probably” be below -20 if all goes well…and I don’t want the pipes to look all BIG and GOMMY looking from it….

I have used Armacell 8 foot long tubes that have 3/8 think walls. They are very bendable and work real well. You can get them at home depot.

they sell a closed cell insulation wrap you could probably find at a local hardware store it has one side thats adhesive and you just sorta wrap it around the pipes you want to insulate.

that or if you go and talk to a local heating & airconditioning shop you could probably pick something up. I know there always left over insulation from linesets we use.

I know about the sticky insulation but i was worried that once it got cooled it wouln't stick anymore like some tapes...

Dukemurmur said:
I know about the sticky insulation but i was worried that once it got cooled it wouln't stick anymore like some tapes...

it shouldnt have a problem staying attached we use it all the time on linesets for residential and comercial applications and havent had a problem with it yet.

if you are concerned about it losing its adhesiveness you can always go over the line with some tie wraps that would keep it secure. we will usually put one on each end of the line we covered when we use it.

how long are the lines your needing to insulate?

Back