• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking Question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woozy

Right now I'm running proxy server. I have my cable modem hooked up threw my USB port then the rest of my computers get connected into the Netgear hub I'm using threw the Ethernet port. I just found a two year old netgear network card PCI I lost it long time ago. Was wondering if I can hook network card up the the pci slot and run the cable modem off that instead of the usb port. And still be able to run my proxy server with out a problem?

It sounds like you want to put in a second network card; if that is the case, then yes you can do that.

However, I must say that it's probably more secure if you go out and buy a cheap cable/DSL router and plug all your computers in through that, instead of having a computer plugged directly into your cable/DSL.

I tried using a router with my cable service and it did not work. All the computers are firewalled and active spyware and virus scan. I like the proxy server set up because I know how it works. And no real problems with it.

Well, go for it, for sure.

A proxy isn't really a proxy without two network connections; it really won't be any different than what you have now (since the USB port is acting as a network adapter), except it should theoretically be faster. I say theoretically, because it's unlikely that the USB network connection is a bottleneck on cable.

Back