3.2ghz ES poor overclocker?

I recently got a 3.2ghz P4 Engineering Sample CPU through a trade. I've been trying to overclock this for a little while with no success. I think the highest I ever got it stable was 3.56ghz. Are these particular chips poor performers at OCing or am I just not doing someting right? Heres my PCs specs: Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz ES | Abit IC7-G | 2x512MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 | WD 74GB Raptor | Seagate 200GB | Pioneer DVR-106D DVD±R/RW. It idles at about 44C according to Speedfan.

I hope you didn't pay top-dollar for that ES, 'cause its got nothing over a regular C0-stepping 3,2 Pressie..(same multiplier selection)

Back to topic

Are you using the 4:5 memory divider?

Try upping the Vcore to 1,4 (and watch your temps closely as you go along)

No, like I said I traded it for an xbox and Halo 2. Neither of wich I liked. Whats a 4:5 memory divider?

**edit**
    Did you mean 5:4? That and 3:2 are th only options available on my mobo.
    Last edited by oceancyc; 02-06-05 at 06:12 AM. Reason: clarification

ES chips are often early makes of the particular chip. Sometimes they clock higher than all other chips, sometimes they won't clock well at all. The major draw to ES chips is the unlocked multi, but now with certain steppings having unlocked multis (Intel Prescott's) it really doesn't matter with these chips. I would certainly rule out memory first, run a 5:4, or whatever it takes to keep the memory at specs (loose timings, divider). If you have decent air, go ahead and bump the voltage up. 1.55v actual is alright for these chips. What PSU do you have, how's the 12v rail? These Prescott's are power hungry, and need to be kept cool, what are your temps/cooling?
    DFI SLI-DR | Opteron 170 | 2x512 G.Skill LE | x1900XTX | 2x250GB T7K250 RAID 0 | PCP&C 510 SLI | X-Fi | Dell 2007FPW
    Laptop | Dell E1405 | Core Duo 2 Merom T7200 | 2GB DDR2 | Intel 950GM | 120GB HD | 14.1 in. WXGA+ Truelife | XP Pro

Heatware

I have a Seasonic 460W PSU and use a Thermaltake Bigwater water-cooling setup. Idle is about 44C.

As a general rule ES chips aren't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by man_utd
    As a general rule ES chips aren't that great.
    Good to know. Off to ebay I go.

Dude,

Maybe I am missing something here, which would be typical, but aren't you running DDR-400 RAM 1:1 at 444? Unless you have some kick-ass BHB5, that's about as high as you will go. Have you tried running at 5:4 or 3:2?

You always need to remove the RAM from the equation before you judge a processor.

FWIW

JD

Quote Originally Posted by oceancyc
    I recently got a 3.2ghz P4 Engineering Sample CPU through a trade. I've been trying to overclock this for a little while with no success. I think the highest I ever got it stable was 3.56ghz. Are these particular chips poor performers at OCing or am I just not doing someting right? Heres my PCs specs: Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz ES | Abit IC7-G | 2x512MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 | WD 74GB Raptor | Seagate 200GB | Pioneer DVR-106D DVD±R/RW. It idles at about 44C according to Speedfan.

also, are you trying to oc it at 16x multi or did you drop it down to 14x?
    Silverstone FT03
    Asus Rampage IV GENE
    Intel 4930k at 4.6ghz
    32gb GSkill 2133
    EVGA 780 GTX TI SC
    Custom Watercooled loop

HEATWARE