• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A really big box for my toys...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
subtotal said:
i was just browsing bit-tech and stumbled on this, i think you might be interested.
http://www.bit-tech.net/article/141/
:clap: I have got to thank you for finding this link. I had seen this rig several months ago, and had not been able to find it since. This is the one that gave me the inspiration to build.

wizard james said:
...reminds me of how my dad is always bring home stuff and my mom looks at him and say "were the F*** are you gona put that now?!!!!"

get that from the wife now... :)

I'm planning to do much the same thing, only much smaller, maybe... 4 or 8 motherboards. What utility / OS can you use to operate the entire system as one computer? I was just planning to install windows/linux on each system, then let SETI run 24/7. But since you were talking about distributed processing, that sounds very interesting.
Oh and what motherboard splitters are you using? The motherboards i have aren't ATX ... i don't think (HP kayak something or others), could i use a similar type cable to run 2 mobo's off 1 PSU?

Great mod btw. :)

WOW!!
umm...methinks i may have missed this whilst reading through but what are the specs of the mobos that your using? p3's i remember reading. what speed?! lols.
but wooowww!! dude you must have a lotta cash! keep it up!

Well... Most of the boards being used will be Semprons, Celerons, P4's,... etc, Nothing will be less than 1.8Ghz. as for board specs? I don't care. They are going to be whatever is on sale at Frys. Basically, the lower the Mhz the more RAM will be added. The only board that is a P3 will be the Firewall/DHCP runnin SmoothWall. :cool:
Now if i was rich, I would load that thing with 30 Dual Opterons!! and possibly be listed in the top 500 (just dreaming) :santa:

WOW! lols. that thing will have some serious power!! can i suggest some cheap 848p boards and a few celeron d's??!!!!!! those chips are actually pretty good, according to sandra my oc'd celey d is on a par with a 3ghz p4 with its ht enabled! thats good! anyhow, keep up the good work dude!
have fun!

Just got today, some of the cooling stuff, but not even a 1/10th of what will be used, ...

FA100.jpg
fan.jpg

I got one fan failure alarm, and three of the 120's (so far), now for the last fans and the 2000ft of 18ga copper wire.. Heh... heh... heh....

Looks to be progressing nicely, keep up the amazing work. Can't wait to see the finished product!! :)

Wow, look soo nice so far. Im actually going to be building something similiar here in the next week or two. It will only hold 5-6 comps a 16 prot switch and a power strip or two though. So nothing huge.

Looks very very nice so far though. I want to see it fully loaded with all 16 computers which would probably look pretty cool.

Didn't get the chance to do much today. Only had time to install the Fan Alarm and upper cooling fans. The whole 2" strip at the top will be covered by black painted plexi with a small pinhole to reach the reset button on the alarm, And the alarms red LEDs will be visible through small unpainted spots in front of them.

http://sc.lwcma.com/Cooling01.jpg

In one of the earlier posts I had said that I was able to find some glass for windows. That'll save a few bucks :thup: Plastic was going to be used, but I think that the glass will make the whole thing look classier:

http://sc.lwcma.com/doors01.jpg

this is probably twice the glass that I would need. It is certainly about 1 foot taller than needed. Well, at least I have enough to cover any possible error when I cut them down. Still have to work on the back of the case though.. Those doors are going to be difficult to say the least, Airtight double doors with a magnetic lockdown just like the frontwill be:cool:

Edit:
Things were getting to take too long, so I borrowed the easy button from that office supply store. It doesn't work...
http://sc.lwcma.com/easy.jpg

Last edited:
how did you get the easy button? That monster case (<-- I think it needs its own word) is awesome. So when do you think the final product will be done? Keep up the great work :thup:

Back