• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A really big box for my toys...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghettocomp

Master of teh Ghetto Mods
The Big Box Project...

Well, I have seen some post their mods and new systems here. So I believe I should be able to post the work log of my next rig here. If I can call it just a rig, I wanted it to be something different for me. I wanted something the wife really had something to complain about, :D Well, not really..

so the oddessy begins... :attn:

I began by hunting down some of the things needed to get the construction of the box started. The list:
*100Ft 1x2 pine for door frame assembly
* 6ea 2'X4' Hardboard panel (similar to particle board)
1ea 2'X2'X1/4" Hardboard panel
1ea 2'X2'X3/8" Plywood panel
110ft of 1/2X1/16 Aluminum angle
100ft of 1/2"X1/2"X1/16" Aluminum C-Channel
4 Heavy duty furniture castors
*3 4oz cans of Ebony Stain/wood preservative
* Qt Clear acrylic wood finish
*Wipe On polyurethane finish
* 2 tubes Silicone Aquarium sealer (to use like a glue, I'll explain later why)
wood glue
*2 panels of Home Depots Expanded Metal Mesh (security door type screen)
50ft of 1/2 Hardwood square dowels
200f of (if i can find that much) paneling inside plastic corner trim, at least that what i think it is called.
ghetto clamps, I mean, Rubber Bands... Hmmm...
3 - 120mm fans
*Fan fail sensor
*2 - 8 port gigabit switches (really need 3**scratch that I need 2- 25port gigabit switches)

Now if I can get one of my Dig. Cameras working right....

as a teaser if things to come in this thread, I just want to explain that this case is to hold up to 14 ATX mobo's & 7 PSU's.
or if i can swing it cash wise, up to 28 Mini ATX boards. (this has changed, since most of the Mini-atx I would use are not very good for this kind of thing)
Ebony Black Laquer in color, but I wanted to start the inside, and work to the outside. I wanted a tower 4ft tall and about 2ft on each side. BIG!
The origional was a 2 ft square cube, but this is better!

Yesterday, I started by cutting 32 20" pieces of the aluminum c-channel & 8 of the aluminum 1/2" angle at 24" each.

More to come..... (Even better when I post Pics) :thup:

**Edit: Items above marked with an asterist have either been added or quantity needed has changed.. ;)

Last edited:
haha nice....
cluster in a box......
and i hope i assume correctly when i say your going to be folding with it....
good luck on it, hope all goes well

Not much to show pics on, yet. Back again at it this morning. Cut 50 of 5in sections of the square hardwood dowels and began to test fit all the parts and double check my dimensions. It is freakin huge! I might need more of the dowels :p
I think that tomorrow I can begin assembly and take pics. Oh yea, And it is going to be water cooled. :clap: I have been getting ready to assemble several of my Tru-ghetto copper cap waterblocks.
The Wife is P.O.'d, When I had started checking everything, she saw how big it really was going to be and to her it was too big! LOL :clap:

winterhavok said:
I am curious are you trying to create a Beowulf cluster or what?

I am still undecided on what OS is going to run it, I had been testing Cluster Knoppix with much success, but I think it still needs more. I think I had read somewhere that overclockix is good. Currently I am looking at some of the Beowulf documentation, as well as Rocks. meh, whatever... The software is only just being thought of, as the hardware and construction of this monster is currently what I am into

you need one of these...
1o2b75

:):)
i cant wait ti see the final product.

~Magick_Man~

magick_man said:
you need one of these...
1o2b75

:):)
i cant wait ti see the final product.

~Magick_Man~

Naah..... Not big enough. Besides, its Much more fun to build. plus I get the Motherboard density that I want :attn:
The way I had designed it, I can hold up to 16 ATX or 32 Mini's in standard density, or in High density it would double (so would the heat)

Dude that is going to be sick. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

I am building a rig similar to it. Except mine is in an all steel enclosure. I will post pics in the coming weeks. If my hectic life ever lets me get the damn thing done.

This morning I had ordered 2 12" Blue Cold Cathode lights for the box. 1 for the top & and one for the bottom. they probably will be the only Bling Bling I'll do for it. I am considering installing an EL Tape strip at the top instead, I think that will look pretty good, and with the blue glowing from underneath the box, Hmmm....

Atx power splitter cables ordered as well. I dont need a lot of power supplies running at once!

man thats gonna be frikkin HUGE!!!!!!!!!!
if that closet thing isnt big enough i dont know whatthe he\_\_ is?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
just what i was thinking..
do you have some dimensions you might want to share with the group, so we can see just how big this monster is going to be.

~Magick_Man~

i'm more worried about cooling the box, that's gonna be one big heater if you ask me. might as well install an air conditioner in there.

Back