• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats this socket on old motheboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenko

Im having lookin at a friends pc as he has broken the monitor socket from the motherboard(on board video).
Its crashing on windows load screen using my old pci graphics card(no agp socket)
But what is this small agp coloured socket?
its the sam motherboard just without the isa socket.

Attachments

• 6wmm7-mobo.jpg
    6wmm7-mobo.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 90
That is likely to be an AMR slot - "Audio Modem Riser" - designed usually for (yep you guessed right) sound cards and modems. I used to have an AMR 56k modem for my PC.

Its probably next to useless nowadays, I havent seen AMR expansion cards around for years. I think my Jetway motherboard from early 2001 had one.

EDIT: Argh batboy beat me to it :). Serves me right for having loads of tabs open ;)

Thank you!
Do you think think we can get it working with a new pci graphics card?
I have tried using my old cirrus logic 2mb card and we get the bios picture on the monitor and some times the windows loading screen but it then locks up, i have tried safe mode it does the same.
As the monitor socket is broken and loose might it be worth breaking it off and cutting the legs that go to the motherboard to make sure there not shorting?

Back