• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Ret Sticky]Overclocking sndbx for A64 939 systems with Winchester, Opteron dual core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Prime95 test

UPDATE:
Prime95 tested stably at 2.73 GHz for 11+ hours. Temperature 23 C idle, 38 load (user aborted)

nf4_939_lpud_cbbhd_303x9_prime95_3dmark01_sandra.JPG

Prime95 tested stably at 2.70 GHz for 4+ hour. Temperature 24 C idle, 41 load.
3DMark 01 22572 (video card 6600 GT at stock 525/1050 MHz)

nf4_939_lpud_cbbhd_300x9_3dmark01_sandra_prime95_stop.JPG

nf4_939_lpud_cbbhd_300x9_prime95.JPG

Last edited:
Overall impression (preliminary)

The chip runs relatively cool (low 40 C) with higher performance compared to 130 nm Barton and NewCastle.

A low RPM, ~40 CFM fan can be used to achieve very low noise (compared to AXP system) in 24/7 run. The motherboard can further spin down the fan according to the load. For extreme testing, a high CFM such as Tornado should be used.

The DFI LP UT Nforce4 Ultra-D is very stable. There has not been a single BSOD, not a single boot hang, not a single CMOS resetting (except the very first one) during the entire (one day) setup and testing. At this time, the board has been pleasant to work with except the broken power and reset switches described earlier.

The voltage range, memory tweaking of the board are very desirable and flexible, enabling more testing, tweaking, optimization in the days and weeks ahead.

From the board I tested, it definitely can serve as a flexible and stable testbed for 939 CPU’s, including the up coming Venice, San Diego, Telodo (dual core), ….

The DFI LP UT Ultra-D and G. Skill PC4400 TCCD memory in combination can stably attain 300+ MHz HTT and memory bus running 1:1, delivering 2.7+ GHz for the 3000+ Winchester with only x9 multiplier. 3200+ with x10 multiplier is recommended in general, especially for memory modules with lower memory bus.

The Fortron 350 W has been able to handle the testing of the system continuously with CPU overclocked to 2.9 GHz+ (at least w/ light load), 2.7-2.8 GHz with full CPU load. The Antec True 550 W has also been tested, it also works and there is no noted difference in results between the two PSU's. It should be pointed out that the 6600 GT is not overclocked, and only 1 hard drive and 1 optical drive were used. For full system for 24/7 usage and for conforming to the PSU 24-pin connector specification, especailly for dual video cards, it is recommended to use a PSU with a 24-connector, and with higher 12 V current rating (28+ A) such as the Fortron Blue Storm 500W, or the Antec NeoPower 480.
PSU rating estimate for some 939 CPU and system

The CPU was tested up to 1.6 V, memory to 2.9 V.

Video card (6600 GT) has been running at stock 525/1050 MHz.

Higher voltage testing, more aggressive cooling, advanced memory tweaking beyond tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS, video card overclocking have not been explored.

Last edited:
30 minutes are up, may I say on behalf of all of us that frequent AMD CPU section, thank you very much for posting this thread.

Look what OC Detective just discovered so if this is what you achieved with a Winchester, we can't wait to see what you'll do with the new cores that are apparently just around the corner:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=364226

I am very very impressed with this set up. was 2.91ghz stable for any length of time? Also what were temps with it that high? I am just about to buy the same setup that you got there except for patriot ram simply b/c newegg is out of stock of G-skill. I was going to be happy with hitting 2.5ghz but if it can go well past that with a nice heatsink that is even better.

shuiends said:
I am very very impressed with this set up. was 2.91ghz stable for any length of time? Also what were temps with it that high? I am just about to buy the same setup that you got there except for patriot ram simply b/c newegg is out of stock of G-skill. I was going to be happy with hitting 2.5ghz but if it can go well past that with a nice heatsink that is even better.

The above results are preliminary and were done in less than 1 day. Further works are needed, ....

It is Prime95 stable around 2.7 GHz CPU at 1.53 V, with memory and HTT stable at 300 MHz 7-3-3-2.5 1T. Further stability testing is underway.

SuperPI can run at 2.86 GHz CPU with memory and HTT at 318 MHz 10-4-4-2.5 1T, achieving 30 s for 1 M run.

More works on cooling, voltage and tweaking on memory are needed to finalize the system, ....

I think either good memory that can run 300+ MHz 1T or a recent Winchester 3200+ with 10x multiplier is recommended for targeting 2.6 - 2.7 GHz stable.

Last edited:
Here's a question I always wanted to ask you and we can use this overclock as an example, in how many increments did you get to such a high overclock, I usually corrupt my Windows registry because of the 'too much too soon' impatient approach....

wow, all that on the little fortron 350w? i know those things are strong (my ak35gt2 is very picky on psu's, most want at least a 400w with any kind of o/c), but DANG! makes me wonder how well one would do with an a8v/3200w combo, might put me in a better mood to go spend some cash despite my craptacular paycheck for the last two weeks.

great clocks man!

do you consider prime95 stable 4 hours?? i personally think 8 hours is the very least but ive had errors up to 10 hours. Hope you can do a more aggressive stability test when the paste is settled and maybe some cpu burn-in

i still dont get this HTT crap...

1:1 HTT means what? 2x, 3x or 4x? 323*3= 969MHz HTT???

isnt default HTT 1000MHz? whats the max HTT? i once heard 1100 was pushing it...

or is HTT the very same as fsb?

pls dont tell me "go read the sticky", ive been there 20 secs ago and didnt understand squat...

intel has made me lazy and i still have to learn advanced memory timings :(

Last edited:
Setting up CPU, memory bus, HT bus frequencies for A64

AXP has only FSB to adjust for CPU, memory frequency.

For A64, there are CPU, memory bus (CPU to memory), HT system bus (HyperTransport from CPU to chipset) to adjust. All three frequency are based on a clock signal called HTT (different than HT).

1. CPU_frequency = HTT * CPU_multiplier

2. memory_bus_frequency = CPU_frequency / CPU_memory_divider
where
CPU_memory_divider = ceiling(CPU_multiplier / memory_HTT_ratio)

memory_HTT_ratio = 1/1, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, ... (availability of somel settings is bios/motherboard dependent)

3. HT_bus_frequency = HTT * LDT_multiplier

Many programs mix up the terms FSB, HT, HTT and this is where the confusion arises since the beginning of A64.

Typically, HTT = 200 - 300+ MHz, multiplying by CPU_multiplier gives the CPU frequency, multiplying by LDT_multiplier gives the HT system bus frequency.
E.g.
Winchester 3000+ with x9 multiplier:
HTT = 200 - 300+ will give 1800 - 2700+ MHz CPU frequency

With memory_HTT_ratio = 1:1 (max memoryclock = 200 MHz), memory_divider = 9
memory_bus_frequency = 200 - 300+ MHz (= CPU_frequency / 9)

With memory_HTT_ratio = 5:6 (max memoryclock = 166 MHz), memory_divider = 11
memory_bus_frequency = 164 - 245+ MHz (= CPU_frequency / 11)

Winchester 3200+ with x10 multiplier:
HTT = 200 - 300+ will give 2000 - 3000+ MHz CPU frequency

With memory_HTT_ratio = 1:1 (max memoryclock = 200 MHz), memory_divider = 10
memory_bus_frequency = 200 - 300+ MHz (= CPU_frequency / 10)

With memory_HTT_ratio = 5:6 (max memoryclock = 166 MHz), memory_divider = 12
memory_bus_frequency = 167 - 250+ MHz (= CPU_frequency / 12)

(for memory_divider, refer to table below)

LDT_multiplier is typically set to x3, x4 with a HTT of 200 - 300+ MHz to keep the HT bus around specification of 1000 MHz for 939, 800 MHz for 754. It is usually kept under 1000 MHz to avoid stability uncertainty, higher HT bus frequency may be used.

E.g. HTT = 300 MHz, LDT_multiplier = 3, HT_bus_frequency = 900 MHz

For more details,

Overclocking setting for various bus frequencies (post 8)

A64_cpu_memory_divider.JPG

Great results! I have one of those boards on the way now and will share the results of a 3500NC and OCZ pc3200EL when I get em :)

Chuckman said:
wow, all that on the little fortron 350w?

And to think how many people scream and shout how you need a 500 watt plus psu for a system like that...

Back