• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am in.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers

Disabled
i've just install the software and i m running it now.
and can anybody make me sure this program won't shorten my cpu life coz i m gonna run my compie nonstop.:cool:

if it shortens you cpu's life it is very minimal(will last 7 years 11 months instead of 8 years;)), don't think it does though, are you running the screen saver? if so read my post in the other thread, it will speed up your crunching.

Welcome to the team. Running the client full time is not likely to shorten your cpu's life. Overclocking can under extreme circumstances, but just running Seti alone is no danger. Glad to have you aboard! Just so you know, the team web site has been a little slow lately since the head guy Kris (Morpheus here in the forum) has taken time off to handle new jobs and a new kid. We are working to get a new web page crew together. Be patient with the stats, and if you can help let us know. Thanks for joining. I hope to visit New Zealand some day - looks like one of the most diverse and beautiful places on Earth.

oiii....
why does my temperature go up crazily....?
now i got 43 degree.
usually i get around 31 degree.
can anybody tell me why...?

oii guys....
can anyone tell me why can't i find my name in the members list...? i mean in the new member list.:(

and i've run my seti for 5 hours 30 minutes but it still in around 50%. why it takes me so long....?

thanx

WElcome to the only team to crunch for!!!!!

SETI uses a lot of the FPU part of the CPU, that's why you have seen an increment in your temperatures. MAny people use seti to test the stability of they box also, as the program is so CPU intensive any problems will cause the computer to crash.

Have you followed the instruction of how to set SETI clc? If not here they are again:

OK... Here is my quick list (with hyperlinks) to making the SETI@home CLC (NOT THE SCREENSAVER), SETI spy & SETI Driver work together... Please note the versions below... the list was written for those versions and may need to be updated when changes occur...

SETI&Home (v3.03 CLC) i386-winnt-cmdline.exe
SETI Spy (v3.07) SETIspy.exe
SETI Driver (v1.6.3.3) SETIDriver.zip
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: the following assumes you have the latest download of SETI@home, SETISpy & SETI Driver ready at hand...

01.) If you have previous SETI versions, uninstall ALL SETI programs
02.) Create a "SETI" folder
03.) In the SETI folder, copy "setiathome-3_03_i386-winnt-cmdline.exe" & "SETI Driver.exe" & "SetiSpy.exe"
04.) Click on "SETI Driver.exe"
05.) Set "maximum processes" to "1"
06.) Set "desired cache size" to "1"
07.) Make sure the "hide processing box" is checked (default value).
08.) Set "SETI client priority" to "normal" (default is "low")
09.) "Process monitoring" is at the bottom of the window, make sure the "use SETI Driver" is checked.
10.) Click on the "save config" button
11.) Click on the "transmit" button (if you get an error window at this point, choose "ignore")
12.) A DOS window (the CLC or command line client) will open entitled "SETI 1 - Transmit"
13.) In the DOS window, enter "1" or "2" (depending on your status)
14.) Enter the email address you registered for SETI with
15.) The CLC will download data, display information on the WU downloaded, then stop when it reaches "beginning analysis"
16.) Then CLC should dissappear as SETI Driver "hides" the processing
NOTE: You should have a blue radio telescope icon running in the system tray (next to time & volume in the lower right portion of your screen). If this is the case, SETI Driver & the CLC are working together... CONGRATS!!!
17.) Right click on the blue radio telescope icon, and select "exit"
18.) In your SETI folder, click on "SetiSpy.exe"
19.) Select "I agree" (if you do, of course)
20.) Click "ignore" (if you get the "error window")
NOTE: You should now be looking at the SETI Spy interface (GUI window). In the white-ish area on the left are what I will call "tabs" (named, "progress," performance," results," etc.). To select a tab, click on it.
21.) Select the "client" tab
22.) Click on the "configure" button, this will open the "client configuration" window
23.) Click on "browse", this will open the "select SETI@home Client" window
24.) Click on the "SETI Driver.exe"
25.) At the bottom of the window it should read [file name: SETI Driver.exe] [file type: executables]
26.) Click on "open"
27.) The "select SETI@home Client" will close, and the "Client Configuration" should be displayed
NOTE: Assuming I have set this up on a "C:" drive, using the "SETI" folder name as I mentioned above, the client configuration window will read "C:\SETI\SETI Driver.exe" in the "client path" area.
28.) In the "client parameter(s)" area type "-SETISpy" (don't miss the hyphen)
29.) Under "client control" at the bottom of the window, check all 4 boxes
30.) Click "OK" and you will be back at the SETI Spy GUI
31.) Select the "Setup" tab (should default to the "display" button setting, if not select "display")
32.) check the 3 left boxes in this order: "minimize to tray," "run in tray," "close to tray"
33.) Click on the "client" button
34.) Check the "Ignore presence of state file on startup" box
35.) In the system tray, right click on the SETI Spy icon (radio telescope with magnifying glass) and select "exit".
NOTE: At this point, there should be no SETI icons in the system tray, or other SETI windows open. If anything is open, close it.
36.) Click on "SetiSpy.exe" in the SETI folder, if you get an error message (which you probably will) select "ignore".
37.) You should have both the SETISpy AND SETI Driver icons now running in your system tray.
38.) Left click on the SETI Driver icon, make sure the "use SETI Spy" box is checked in the "process monitoring" section at the bottom of the window.
39.) Click on the "save config" button, then minimize the SETI Driver window.
40.) Left Click on the SETI Spy icon in your system tray.
41.) Select "exit".
42.) Next, click on the "SETI Spy.exe" icon in your SETI folder... No errors? GREAT.... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You are now configured to run the CLC, Spy & Driver off the SETI Spy icon...

Of course, you can make a shortcut to SETISpy and paste it into your system startup folder, then SETI@home will automatically restart, every time you boot up Windows...

Happy Crunching!!!

Kris

Man, do I miss Kris!!!!!

Well, anyway glad you have joined us.....and don't be afraid to ask your mind of, everyone started as a newbie. A bunch of people here will try to clear any doubts you have.

i've already got the screensaver one.
do i need to uninstall this and then install the clc one....?
what is the different between those...?
which one is better of....?

Overclockers said:
i've already got the screensaver one.
do i need to uninstall this and then install the clc one....?
what is the different between those...?
which one is better of....?

You do need to uninstall the screen saver. So when you finish your work unit just uninstall it and dl the CLC. The CLC is faster because it doesn't have to think about any graphics. It should cut down your time anywhere from 15-50%.

Overclockers said:
ok...thax for that answer

can anyone tell me why can't i find my name in the members list...? i mean in the new member list.:(

I can say for sure...but I do know this. Morpheus did all the stats page, but unfortuantly he had to cut back on his head of team postion. The stats team is still up in air and it is probably not getting done as often. I know I am still waiting to see my Tricks & Tips page posted. Hope that kinda helps.

Overclockers said:
oii guys....

and i've run my seti for 5 hours 30 minutes but it still in around 50%. why it takes me so long....?

thanx
Well you need to do this to join the team first.

I still don't wee you on the list, what is your nickname? The new members page is not auto updated, the stats are down right now but I am going to post them this weekend and I will add a new members page.

Back