• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sewpur Slow Local Network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lan_Of_Malkier

I suppose this is a general question.

I have a 5 PC network at home that access a main 'file server' via Windows network.

It is sluggish slow, takes forever and often times out. Is this typical of Windows? They are all XP machines, file/print share on, Firewall off.

Would getting Win Server 2k/2k3 and setting it up that way make the network faster? I want to head that direction eventually anyway so that I can control Virus scan and firewall globaly.

Even if I map a drive (which makes connecting faster at times) it is painfully slow.

Network Config:
DSL Modem > Belkin 4 port 10/100 108g Router > PC's

Again all are running XP (server is XP Pro). :bang head

Thanks

there is a setting in your router that is gooping it all up. check the logs in the router (it should have a log file that shows errors and such) and see if you are getting a lot of collision errors and stuff, and what ports/thingies are causing it.

Thanks for the suggestion. The only thing that my router logs are security issues, so no cheese there.

Isn't there like a netstat-e or someting from the cmd that will report packet arrors and such?

Back