• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft: Longhorn beta will arrive by June

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turd Furguson

SAN FRANCISCO--Microsoft is on track to release the first full test version of the next major Windows release by the end of June, a Microsoft executive told CNET News.com on Monday.

The company has said publicly that Beta 1 of Longhorn would arrive by the end of 2005, though internally, the company has been aiming for a release by midyear. The final version of Longhorn is slated for the second half of next year.

"There will be a beta 1 of Longhorn...happening in the first half of this year," John Montgomery, a director in Microsoft's developer division, said during an interview at VSLive, a conference devoted to the company's Visual Studio .Net toolkit. The release will be primarily aimed at developers, Montgomery said. "I do, however, expect that you will find IT departments starting to look at it, kick the tires, figure out what's in it and what's not in it."

Beta 1 will be the first look at Longhorn in its current form. Microsoft released a developer preview version of Windows at the Professional Developers Conference in the fall of 2003 and updated that early code last spring.

Link...

Beta 1? Didn't they already release several public betas for it? I think you can go download it right now if you wanted to.

Omega Destroyer said:
Beta 1? Didn't they already release several public betas for it? I think you can go download it right now if you wanted to.

That is the Avalon beta which allows you to code using its GUI.

I was hoping this delay would allow the shipping of the WinFS with the new OS. So it is going to be an upgrade for now. I will wait it out and get the new file system when a disk ships with it. Good info, finally some hope of an upgrade to the now aging XP.

Back