• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still Confused Please Help !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

well i am still so confused on what to do ..

help help help help !!!

real quick.. dealing with a compaq pc. mobo died. need a replacement. as you will see its originally a uATX but with hours of search i found that micro can replace it as long as dimensions of board are similar. assuming the guy who gave me the info was right.. he said that all boards have the same mounting holes.. (generally) ..

where i get confused is the mPGA478 socket type..

here is product spec:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...359576&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00047766#N10031

here is mobo specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...product=359576&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph07845

please tell me what you KNOW and not what you think.. im in a critical point right now so any help is greatly appreciated..

i must order by tommorrow morning !! :bang head

Xtreme Barton said:
well i am still so confused on what to do ..

help help help help !!!

real quick.. dealing with a compaq pc. mobo died. need a replacement. as you will see its originally a uATX but with hours of search i found that micro can replace it as long as dimensions of board are similar. assuming the guy who gave me the info was right.. he said that all boards have the same mounting holes.. (generally) ..

where i get confused is the mPGA478 socket type..

here is product spec:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...359576&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00047766#N10031

here is mobo specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...product=359576&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph07845

please tell me what you KNOW and not what you think.. im in a critical point right now so any help is greatly appreciated..

i must order by tommorrow morning !! :bang head

k dude, assuming the specs and info about his mobo is accurate, then any socket 478 microatx board will work. If you must have onboard video then check out this one. This paticular board should offer quite a bit more flexiblity and overclockablity than the previous board, if the owner so wishes.

defientley a nice board and believ me i looked at it.. but it is a tad bit to big..

he measured the board and said it was a tight fit.. but the actual board measured 9 5/8 by 8 11/16 ... so thats 9.6 x 8.7 max

kinda sucks that its this complicated but that is him.. i found a intel board but i know it wont be much of a board at all. doesnt even have a agp slot..

so i can get whatever 478 board though right ?? as long as it supports 400 fsb ??

from what i recently read... i gathered that a mPGA478 was just an identifier for the cpu generation.. i think it is a number code for celerons and p4 of that time.. could be wrong, probably am but my guess from what i read

Honestly I have came upon the same issue - I usually sell the customer a new case and motherboard. Taking all the components out of the old PC and assemble in the new case with the new motherboard - far easier then trial and error.

i agree and wish i could do the same .. but he wants what he wants.. i can try but who knows what will happen..

can anyone confirm the mPGA478 thing ?? i cant seem to find a straight answer ..

i may just call intel tomorrow and see what they say./.

i cant believe nobody has seen this thread and can be sure of the answer.. confuses me to much this intel stuff does.. man i love my amd !! lol

The socket is a plain old socket 478, the mPGA moniker has nothing to do with the actual physical motherboard size.

I guess what you are looking for is a socket 478 motherboard in a mATX format. Either the 845G or 865G chipset should work with the Celly 2.5. It looks like it comes with an Asus board already. There's nothing wrong with that, although Compaq castrates the BIOS by removing any o'cing features. You might see if you can get the same board except with an Asus BIOS.

well actually that board sucks ..

BUT I THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CLEARING THAT UP !!

in fact i can get what ever chpset that supports 400 fsb and celerons... silly me getting all bent out of shape over nothing..

thanks again .. i figured out to get a small enough board for his uatx replacment it wouldnt be worth that hassle.. so i told him to find a micro case and i'll help him them.. anything under 9.6 x 9.6 sucks bad .. hard to find even a 8x agp port..

instead of a 60 doallr board that really sucks. i get him a better but cheaper board and a case for about 100. he'll have alot more head room down the road..

Back