• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A8N-SLI :: Work Arounds:Expensive Bugs:Tweaking:Info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Install Windows
Install ethernet driver if needed for internet access.
Install all Windows updates.
Install chipset drivers.
Install video drivers.
Finally install any other drivers - audio, printer, etc.

Thanks Reddywing1! I figured that was the order just wanted to make sure. Looks like you left out bios update. Should I do that before the chipset drivers?

After updating to 1009.002 bios, CS:S is performing in slow motion :bang head . As anyone noticed this? Or should I install chipset and display drivers again? Other than that this bios seems stable.

I’ve reinstalled all NVIDIA drivers and the problem with CS still persists, flashed it back to 1007 and everything became fine.

Weird!

i'm glad you managed to get it sortd out :)

Has anybody else had any problems with the new 1009 bios?

Hey guys, I ran into a weird problem.
I replaced my NB fan with a passive heatsink, the zalman NB-47J. Everything was running fine at 265*9, mem 333, 1.55V. Max load temp: 45degrees C. This was prime stable for 6 hours ( I stopped the test myself)
The problem i Ran into was, when i was transfering massive loads of date from one disk to another. I was transfering around 100GB from one disk to another....it went ok for 8 minutes or so...till I got a system hang. I had to reset the computer, because it wasn't responding anymore. After my that, I was thinking about burning the data on DVD, because I had to store it anyway. So, I tried to burn one, but got another systemhang.., now I was kinda wondering what it was. So I had to reset for the 2nd time, and tried to transfer some data from one disk to another....guess what..same thing happens again. So what's wrong with that?
I was thinking maybe the NB isn't getting enough cooling or something? Cos eventhough i fitted the nb heatsink well, the heatsink is..euhm..movable...i mean..it doesn't sit on it very tight(ly?) The sink does get kinda hot though...
So do you guys think my problem is related to the (lack of) nb cooling?

(I have an A8N-SLi ndlx, with a 3000+ Winchester, 1 gig ocz 3500EB ram..550 sparkle ESP psu, euhm..what else is relevant? )

I think you have stability problem with your mainboard at this htt settings, did you ever copied so big file before? Try this on default values (9x200) then you will know. The zalman NB-47J is a good heatsink nevertheless cooling passively nforce4 sli nb isn`t a good idea - especially when overclocked, apply some quiet fan (if the air isn`t moving inside your case - nb heatsink isn`t cooled too.)

Well I already transfered all the data I needed to transfer, but you are right. Maybe I should try it at default speed.
About the cooling, I already have 3*80mm fans in, and one 120mm fan as an out fan. So i think the case cooling is already sufficient...mabye it's a dead spot there....not sure though. But I keep wondering if the zalman is good enoough for non-standard speed...does it cools enough to oc the board?

About the pump..its really quite..I couldn't hear it as long it isn't in direct contact with your case. I always had to put my hand on the pump to be sure it was working. =)

ok if I got a Sandiego 3700 with this board, do u guys wthink with 2-2-2-5 ram that is specd at 240 I would definately be able to overclock to this FSB at 1T (assuming of course the san diego chip can handle it which it shoul dbe able to from forum posts, these chips are reachig FSB of 260 and above)? Is like the hard limit 250 at 1T for this board and does it matter what the SPD timings of the ram are or it is 1T and 250 at whatever timings the memory can withstand? I will not be overclocking past 240 and the Asus has such a great feature set and I do not plan to use hardware firewalls or NCQ or that other stuff that causes problems. My ram is 2 1GB sticks of PDP memory specd at 2-3-2-5 at 200MHZ but it hits 240 on my current board

You are close to a viable plan but no one can say EXACTLY what your results may be. The Asus 1T problem is not yet fixed so 250 will be hard at 1T and even 240 may not be possible. I have traded away my A8N but when I had it I hit the 1T wall at 238.

Your results may vary.

I agree with reddywing1, 1T bug isn`t fixed yet (i think it won`t be) and yes You will probably 'hit the wall' at 240MHz with 1T. But look at the other side: the SLI design of an asus a8n sli is just very good, especially when you add 2nd vga card with extra cooling kit. You`ll have still one spare pci expansion slot (eg. for audigy card). I got two pci cards: audigy 2 zs and dvb card. Compare this mainboard`s layout with the best of super-overclockers DFI LanParty nF4 SLI DR: u will notice that adding one pci based card to dfi will obstruct air flow near vga cooling kit. At the end no one knows how mainboards will play with the latest amd chips, this is not the case with a8n sli deluxe: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050509/cual_core_athlon-07.html. Choose yourself!

And I agree with friendly1. I switched to the DFI board because of it's ability to overclock to high speeds. If your goal as you stated is a mild overclock then the Asus ergonomic layout is clearly superior. The A8N is a very forgiving and easy board to work unlike the DFI and with the extra space between two video cards in SLI mode on the Asus it is practical to employ air cooling solutions on the video cards. On the DFI, my Silencer6 card cooler would not even allow the installation of the second card. Very tight.

Last edited:
The only thing changed in this one, is a S3 power improvement The other problems still persists (1T over 240, 250, and firewall whit P2P programs).

Back