• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A8N-SLI :: Work Arounds:Expensive Bugs:Tweaking:Info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've come across a strange problem:

using BIOS 1004.1

after step 4 of post 24, which is sucessful, I want to set the memory to run asynch to the HTT (my ram tops out at around 220)

but the moment I set RAM Speed to 333, the motherboard drops to 3x HTT, even thout it's still set at 4x HTT :confused:

OC-Master said:
Discovered a new problem. After fixing the PCI Lock and HTT issue, my hyper transport multiplier keeps reseting back to 3X everytime I reset the PC. Problem is, appearently nTune cannot hold settings for more than the session so I have to reset the darn thing everytime if I want a performance increase.

Mine has done this as well, always started at 3x... Do you have all your overclocking set in the bios? My comp doesn't seem to boot well with overclocking, though it tends to run fine once in XP and changed.

You all are getting some pretty impressive OC's there in the 280s-300s!

Edit: This board can be pretty vexing sometimes. Now I set the mem max to DDR466 (but at 1T-2.5-2-2-10 2.8V memtest32 has problems), set to 2.5-2-2-10-1T 2.8V the rest auto, then dial the HTT down to 225 from the 233 it automatically moves to. When I start the comp, it will show the memory running at DDR373 (an 11:9 divider) instead of DDR450... I can't seem to get it to stop doing this... It's very annoying. :-\

Last edited:
I have my 2 Raptor 74G drives running in RAID0 off the NV controller. The only problem I had was I had to remove the Maxtgor IDE drive I had connected. For some reason Windows XP would hang with it installed. I've read that Asus has "issues" currently with Maxtor drives on the A8N-SLI and are working on a BIOS fix. Guess I'll leave that HD out for now.
The only question I had was what Stripe size to use. I'm a gamer and have used a 128K stripe in the past as it seemed faster than 16k, 32k, or 64k for map loading. But this time I set it up with the "optimal" setting. Even the manual doesn't say what that setting is........

Aurora40 said:
You all are getting some pretty impressive OC's there in the 280s-300s!
You have to run at 2T to get the DDR over 250 MHz.

My A8N-SLI D board should be arriving today. Reading this thread, is the 245mhz limit on the memory at 1T a mobo issue that can be fixed with a bios update?

The 1004 final bios came out today. There is a net 1005 beta out now ;)
I'll stick with the 1004 final for now.
I have not been able to get higher than 230fsb stable at 3338 1T Cas settings (DDR400).
I think playing with 2T and maybe DDR333 ram settings would prove to take my AMD3000 higher.......I just would like to know what has worked with others with the same CPU.

I sent you an email. But you need to go to 2T and set the PCI at 33.33 MHz.

GraveLayer said:
The 1004 final bios came out today. There is a net 1005 beta out now ;)
I'll stick with the 1004 final for now.
I have not been able to get higher than 230fsb stable at 3338 1T Cas settings (DDR400).
I think playing with 2T and maybe DDR333 ram settings would prove to take my AMD3000 higher.......I just would like to know what has worked with others with the same CPU.

I can't get anything to show up on the beta bios section at Asus. Anyone else having this problem?

how is the 1004 final release? Did you update with the windows tool or from a floppy? is there a difference? I can't hit 2.5GHz with my comp so far...

I dont see anything under the beta tab either.

Can any one help I installed nTune 200.23 and got it working with help from your forum, but I had one crash when NVMonitor was running now the visual Interface for it, comes up garbled I have uninstalled and Re-installed with no Joy but I still get a garbled Interface help. Processor

Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Speed : 2.01GHz
Model Number : 3200 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR3015 (estimated)
Type : Standard
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64 byte line size

Mainboard
Bus(es) : PCI PCIe USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
MP Support : 1 CPU(s)
MP APIC : No
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1004-001
System : System manufacturer System name
Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI DELUXE
Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1005MHz (2010MHz data rate)
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 201MHz (402MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Home (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

LoneWolf121188 said:
how is the 1004 final release? Did you update with the windows tool or from a floppy? is there a difference? I can't hit 2.5GHz with my comp so far...

I dont see anything under the beta tab either.
I was running the beta 1004-001, I then downloaded the 1004 final and used the Asus windows utility to flash. Worked much easier then the DOS boot disk way :)

shiyan said:
I've come across a strange problem:

using BIOS 1004.1

after step 4 of post 24, which is sucessful, I want to set the memory to run asynch to the HTT (my ram tops out at around 220)

but the moment I set RAM Speed to 333, the motherboard drops to 3x HTT, even thout it's still set at 4x HTT :confused:

Ok,

It appears the 1004 Official bios doesnt resolves the HTT issue. This is not a good sign.

OC-Master

Last edited:
GraveLayer said:
I was running the beta 1004-001, I then downloaded the 1004 final and used the Asus windows utility to flash. Worked much easier then the DOS boot disk way :)

Good stuff,

The Asus windows utility allows you the ability to clear the checksum which is a very good thing. This actually can fix many problems that wont fix so easily flashing with Dos. It seems, dos doesnt fully erase some elements in the bios so I would ask everyone to stay clear of the Dos flash utility if possible.

If you just installed your motherboard for the first time, flash with the dos utility the 1004 bios and then when you get Windows up and running, re-flash with Windows ASUS update utility and you'll be good to go.

OC-Master

OC-Master said:
Ok,

It appears the 1004 Official bios resolves the HTT issue. I havnt had my HTT reset to 3X since upgrading to this bios. its not at 1133MHz FSB :)

OC-Master

I flashed to the 104 official bios and still having problems with the HTT reseting to three in windows. Anyone else have this same problem?

tinytool said:
I flashed to the 104 official bios and still having problems with the HTT reseting to three in windows. Anyone else have this same problem?

Did you flash with the ASUS Update Utility? Did you clear the Checksum values? Did you reset your bios to 4X manually after restarting?

EDIT: I changed a bios setting this morning and the stupid thing reset back to 3X according to nTune. Looks like we are both in the same boat.

OC-Master

Last edited:
Yeah did all that, it still reading 780 260*3. How has your overlclocks been with the new bios I seem to have lost a little bit.

tinytool said:
Yeah did all that, it still reading 780 260*3. How has your overlclocks been with the new bios I seem to have lost a little bit.

Still running good at 2550MHz, with Primed stable 24Hours. 2550MHz still seems to be my maximum overclock before Prime fails.

If you dont relie on prime for stability, I can run SuperPI right untill 2710MHz

OC-Master

Does any know what is going here , ClockGen says I have a CPU of 2009.96, A HTT 200.93, MEM 200.93, PCI-E 100.00, PCI 33.49. Bios says its HTT is 200.00, I updated Bios with Asus update V6.03.01. to ver 104 Final with clear cmos checksum to load default Bios setting CHECKED. I thought that flashing the Bios would clear everything back to default with no over clocking thats if you can call .93 on the HTT overclocking But no I still show unchanged figures. Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Speed : 2.01GHz

Mainboard
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1004 Final System : System manufacturer System name

Total Memory : 1GB Viking DDR-SDRAM 3.3.3.8

Chipset 1
Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1005MHz (2010MHz data rate)
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 201MHz (402MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Home (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

Back