• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600GT Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeeThroughGuy

Hey, I just brought a Legend Gforce 6600GT and am having some problems with it :confused: My screen is all distorted, I got a pic of it, dunno if it will look the same for you guys. I tryed installing the drivers but they wont work, I also tryed the drivers from the nvidia site, could this be a 'dud' card?

Attachments

• stuffed.JPG
    stuffed.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 317
pci-e or agp? If it's agp i would suspect the bridge chip....or possible core issue...i would RMA it.

yeah its agp, could you explane what you mean by RMA it?

[EDIT]I put my old card back in (Powercolor ATI 9600PRO) and now windows wont detect it, I tryed using the add new hardware wizard and it didnt work :(

Last edited:
Make sure you have a good power supply, that the molex connector is hooked up, and that you wiped your harddrive clean of everything ATI. Then install the latest nvidia WHQL drivers. Once you've installed an nvidia card, you can't expect to swap back to an ATI without uninstalling the existing nvidia software...leaving it causes big problems. Good luck.

I got a 420W thermaltake PSU and I connected the molex connections to the vid card, and I didnt uninstall all the ATI drivers and software I had on it, When I try installing the Nvidia (or when windows is auto detecting it) my monitor goes blank then my PC restarts, Ive never had a vid card that makes my screen go all distorted when I first put it in :-/

Your Problem is that you DID NOY UNINSTALL the ATI drivers. You REALLY need to uninstall the ATI drivers. All of it. Also Delete the ATI folder in your Cdrive. Use a Tool called Driver cleaner, You can find it here:www.guru3d.com

It is a MUST to uninstall ALL the Ati stuff. Also, Goto The start button, Hit RUN, Type in Regedit, Goto LocalMachien sp? Hit the + in front of software, and Delete The ATI Entry.

Its the Only way you wont be getting these display problems your getting. Same goes for if your going back to a ATI from Nvidia.

Harry

Get driver cleaner pro from Driver Heaven.

Carefully read the instructions before you use it.

You have to use it in safe mode only and you can break windows by deleting the wrong windows cab files if you just hit select all and nuke 'em.

It's the best there is but you gotta be careful and pay attention.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!

I would agree with everyone here. You need to make sure you remove all traces of any old drivers, or you will have all kinds of wierd, unexplainable problems. Even though driver cleaner generally does a good job. Sometimes you may have to reformat. When I bought my 6600gt, (comming from a 9600xt) I had to re-install windows. :rolleyes:

If what we suggested doesnt work, You have a BAD card and should return it of RMA it Asap. And dont be afraid to get another one, This sometimes happens where you get a dud.

Harry

ok, thanks. That is what I suspected, I rang the company I brought it from and they told me I had to format :(

Last edited:
Well thats why i recommended RMA'in it first...because yes it could have been a driver issue...but looking at that pic u posted....it looked like a bridge chip issue.

I dont really want to format atm, and im pritty sure the card is faulty. But when I boot up the computer straight away when it detects the mem speed and cpu speed etc (where u press del to enter bios) the screen is all screwed up there, is that before the drivers (ati ones in this case) are loaded? I have to say something to the company befor they will take it back and give me another one if I dont want to format.

Have you used your XP disc to load your PC. I think that bypasses all Windows driver kits bieng loaded. If you artifact then you know it is an issue.
I have to say something to the company befor they will take it back and give me another one if I dont want to format.
If it artifacts during a "mock" pre-install it is bad, how can you properly format/install with visual artifacts?

Edit: Another option is use a "live Cd' distro of linux and boot off that.

Last edited:
bah call em back tell em you re formatted and it didnt help
if it looks like that in the bios even its not a driver issue

Back