Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

really good idea!

Dell: 8.0

IBM: 9.5

< FOLD!
    < Heatware

< EVGA X58, 920, TRUE, 12GB Corsair, 2 x EVGA GTX 285, Enermax Revolution, Velociraptor, 7 64-bit

I'll give my AOpen 1557GLS a 9/10 (screen viewing angle could be better)....I think that Sager uses/used them.

Senior whose title will pierce the heavens!
    10 Year Badge
    updated...

Quote Originally Posted by samuraisam
    Sony : 7 / 10

Shame on you, you didn't include Apple.

Apple : 9.7 / 10

-Sam

wow i diden't even consider apple that's a my bad I will make cateogory after i investigate any relationship between sager and Aopen.

*edit Because apple=75%pc parts I Added it
    Aopen is a seperate entity that sells and supports their own laptops so i have also added it as well.

phew updating this thing is hard work keep it coming

WOOT 5 stars
    Last edited by ozzlo; 02-12-05 at 05:24 PM.

. . . . . . .
    HELP!!!. . . . . . RAWR!!!

. . . . . . . . .\. . . . . . . . /
    __________\0/_____/\__________

I got a toshiba give it a 9/10 I wish it had a beter video card, but it still plays CoD and lower settings.
    "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free."
    -- Fmr. President Ronald Reagan

"We must all hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately"
    -- Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is not free, that it comes with the highest of sacrifices. The price of blood"

10 Year Badge
    Off hiatus, iNET stopped advertising in MY posts.
    I've only had experience with IBM T20, but I'm impressed.

IBM operation, 9.5 out of 10. They aren't any good for gaming, but I'm not a gamer.

IBM ease of repair, based on what I have heard here, 10, out of 10!

steve
    Abit, RIP!

It was great while it lasted, but my other home is gone.

steve

Toshiba 9.9 out of 10, the 1/10 of a point reduction is due to one if thier "preimier" service locations haveing horrid support/job.....
    see: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.p...26#post3279126
    Desktop:
    Q6600 G0@3Ghz,eVGA 8800gts,P5k Premium,2x2gb Kingston,120gig Agility 3,Seasonic S12-600HT
    Laptop:
    Toshiba M7(Tablet): T2300, 4gb ram, 160gb seagate
    My Heatware

I've had already the following IBMs : 760CD, 770X, 600E, T23, T40... Impressed with all of them.
    Have played with a few toshibas, nice machines also, but not as robust.

IBM 10/10
    Toshiba 8/10
    AOpen s661FXM-FSN, PM "Dothan" 1.8 @ 2.61Ghz (1.66v),XP90 cooler, Sapphire HD3850 AGP. 2048MB uccc, WD Black 1Tb HDD. PLextor PX712A+PX760A
    Canon iP5200R Printer. Lappy: IBM T400 C2D 2.4

Inactive Pokémon Moderator JigPu's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Gateway - 9/10

I've had experience with only two Gateway laptops (both the same model, one my sisters, the other mine), and they seem to be very nice. They're light on the amount of OEM crud they put on (IIRC it was updaing software and a few other trivial things). Also, they seem to be fairly well designed as well since my temps (with a Prescott 2.8) don't seem to be that bad for a laptop at full load.

The one place they DO get marked on is on build strength. My laptop has had no problems, but my sister's has developed a small crack in the plastic covering the hinges. She dosen't really abuse her laptop, so I don't think that it should have broken like that.
    .... ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    .... Intel Core i5 2500 ........................ 4 thread ...... 3300 MHz ......... -0.125 V
    2x ASUS GTX 560 Ti ............................... 1 GiB ....... 830 MHz ...... 2004 MHz
    .... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
    .... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
    .... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
    .... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
    "GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.

hp ze4900

9/10

it was cheap but it has intel extreme graphics 2 so no gaming though i knew what i buying when i bought it... and then tech support was ok though i had stumped her since i already tried everything she told me to do... and battary power is ok at 3:30 for watching movies

My first and only laptop experience has been with an hp ze4400us. I bought it with the intention of making it my semi-primary machine, and intended to use it for gaming as well as word processing and web browsing and the ilk--I learned that such a laptop does great for everything but the gaming. A single fan cools the entire laptop, and the hard drive overheated and now is unstable--A fresh isntallation of windows lasts about 4 continuous operating hours before a complete crash and loss of all data. I'm ordering a new drive, with the intent of patching it up and selling it on ebay; its a fine machine, but not for gaming.

As for the rating, I would give hp a 7/10.

The laptop has a 64 meg (shared) video card, 256 megs of ram, and windows xp--Not enough ram to run stabily, imo. That and the heat issues under stress make the ze4400 on my list of laptops to avoid--However, rather than give hp as a whole a 6 I'll assume that not all of their laptops overheat and die--hence the 7.

(btw, next laptop--if any will be apple powermac )

10 Year Badge
    updated... I reformatted my comp and forgot to back up my database file and had to update the whole thing from scratch....

*edit the database is back to full power so don't fear voting... I will update the scores every 4 or 5 votes or so....

please keep the votes comming in... my database is setup for 10,000 votes for each vendor so cmon lets fill it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ozzlo; 03-15-05 at 12:50 AM.

. . . . . . .

I give dell a 9 ˝

I will have to give Dell 9.5/10. My first and only laptop so far. -0.5 in scoring because nothing is perfect

Registered

How about Averatec?

I just bought my wife an Averatec AV6110. It has 15" screen and 80gig HD.
    Also included a DVD burner all for $699 after rebates. So far it is great. The touchpad is very sensitive when trying to type.

Bob

10 Year Badge
    you name a different brand and I'll make a cateorgory...

what score would you give it and I will make new cateorgory on my next update...

I can't even imagine what this stickey is going to look like in 5 years... it will be a magnificant database... and I never plan to leave the forums so I will always be around to update it

and btw my touchpad has something called palm protection... which is a nice feature yours might have it too... go into mouse properties...

. . . . . . .

I've got an Asus S5N (see sig) and it serves me well. If the notebook is an example of what I can expect from Asus, then I'd give them a 9. I just love the external CD drive that comes with the notebook - custom designed for the model so that power and data come on one plug. Most pentium-m models (the only ones I ever look at ) have some way of extending battery life, either through a larger main battery or through an auxilliary battery that fits into the CD/floppy bay. My only issues are that they don't go as far as they could on graphic capabilities (last time I checked they only had 64mb on the radeon 9700), and they're more expensive than some alternatives.

I've owned a a few different laptops over the years so i will try and rate each one as best as I can

Toshiba 7/10
    IBM 9/10
    Gateway 7/10
    Sony 9.5/10
    Dell 10/10

10 Year Badge
    updated....

nice addation to the database... that requires an update!

Most popular: DELL 7 votes
    Highest Rated: APPLE 9.7

. . . . . . .

Since i have a Dell ill vote for them if i must , lol

hmm , ive had it for 2.5 yr's now. had 3 major problems , the power socket for the cord on the back of the laptop become worn down , and motherboard need to be replaced. I had one stick of ram go bad. and last week the power cord socket went bad again. talked to the guy at dell and no messing around this time , told me i was getting a new board and power cord. good thig for the xtra 2 yrs on the warranty

overall

Product 9.5 out 10 , there electronics they go bad

Sevice 9.5 out 10 , Thats being nice , ive said alot of 4 letter words to them

Overall 9.5 out of 10

:update:
    i had gave there service a 7.5 , but today i got my laptop back , and i got a free upgrade to the Intel Pentium 4 3.20Ghz , from the 3.06Ghz , so i upd it to 9.5. this rocks
    Last edited by dead_man311; 03-25-05 at 10:06 AM.

10 Year Badge
    Gateway M675XL
    P4C 3.2GHz HT (D1)
    2 X 512 PC3200 400MHz DDR SDRAM
    17.1" High Resolution WSXGA+ TFT Active Matrix w/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 8x AGP w/ 128MB DDR video memory
    60GB 7,200 RPM Hitachi Disk Drive
    Multi-RW DVD

Rocks for me. I chose this between a Sager 9870c and the Gateway but after checking both out I found the Gateway to be a superior machine and since I already have a MCE Workstation I didn't need the excess baggage either.

The Gateway has worked like a charm in all areas I choose to use it in. I can play a DVD movie on one full battery charge and the Sager wouldn't.

Product 9 out 10 - Battery life could be better

Overall 9 out of 10 - Service has never been needed making it hard to quantify.

R
    Last edited by ropey; 03-25-05 at 10:19 PM.
    i7 2600K @ 4.7,P8P67 Pro Rev (3.1) @ B3 (1850)
    Corsair Modded Graphite 600T Case, 4X 4096 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-11-9-28, Corsair HX10000, XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX @ 710/910
    Folding@Home Team 32

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast