• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Overclockers.com Notebook Retailer List And Rating System -- Vote Now!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
The Official Overclockers.com Notebook Retailer List And Rating System -- Vote Now!!

NOTE: This Thread is no longer maintained. PM me if you would like to see the data, however IMO 2-3 year old data is not as valuable as current reviews. I may start up a new thread in the future.

Welcome, This is the place to post your laptop experiences and give your laptops scores (score out of 10). I tally them up every so often and make graphs and stuff so you can get a general Idea of people's experiences... You can post 1 score for each laptop you've owned or had experience working with.

Retailer/
Website link

Acer-Alienware-Aopen-Apple-ASUS-Averatec-Dell-Fujitsu-Gateway-HP/Compaq-Hypersonic-OLD_IBM-Lenovo-MSI-LG-NEC-Panasonic-Sager-Samsung-Sharp-Sony-Toshiba

Average of scores posted by OcForums users
00016cxq

A measure of the breadth of scores given by OcForums users (lower is generally better)
00018rd8

Higher # votes means more accurate average score (193 votes thus far)
000175fd

"HOW TO FIGUE IN STANDARD DEVIATION (YMMV?)"
basically the Higher the standard deviation the more chances that "your mileage may vary" (YMMV) from the score given... your results could be eigther better or worse... generally a high standard deviation in this case would be greater than 1.50. and any standard deviation that has N/A can't be calculated because of lack of input and you can just ignore...

Please feel free to rate each on a scale from 0 to 10

... please make comments/sugguestions about stuff to add.

... please add comments about each experience with your feedback ratings

... please post any succuesfull overclocks with any make/model laptop that you have witnessed and say how it was oc'd (ie bios, clockgen, cpumsr)

Last vote update Mar 8th, 2007

Last edited:
ok i will start first...

Dell: 9 out of 10

Sager 8 out of 10

I have only really done buisness with dell for laptops but for the exception that most dell laptops are pretty much impossible to overclock Dell rocks.

I've seen some pretty good sager laptops so I will give them an 8

Last edited:
Well since it's oifficial ;) I can only rate what I have experience with.

Dell 9 out of 10

IBM 9.5 out of 10

HP 8 out of 10

Toshiba 8 out of 10

I own an Acer personally - would give it around 9 out of 10. Its fast, solid, and does the job but have had a couple of albeit it tiny, hiccups.

updated.... :) remember you can come back later as your experience with different vendors grows.

Dell i8600
Pentium M Dothan 1.6
2*512 Kingmax DDR333
Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro
WSXGA+ 15.4" Widescreen

:D 10/10, just a great notebook. It will play any game out there, even Half Life 2. I couldn't be more pleased. The screen looks great and Dell warranty and service has always been topnotch.

HP ze4600us.

No problems but I'll give the clunker a 6/10.

PS*You might want to request a senior/mod to turn this into an official poll ;)

Edit*

I guess I need to explain the 6/10, so here goes ;)
The laptop was very bulky, had terrible graphics for gaming (IGP320M) and always ran really hot (I mean, it could get extremely uncomfortable on the lap). The cooling system consisted of one fan and one vent :rolleyes: , thats about as bad as it can get. The only saving grace was that it didn't crash very often (but it did crash occasionaly). The battery ran out in about an hour 15 min!

I would give it a 6/10 with all these considerations in mind. Bear in mind that just because it works doesn't mean its awesome. But then again, it was my mistake in not putting together a more descriptive post.

Edit 2:
Not to mention the horrendous Tech support who put me on hold for a lifetime . I was a N00b back then hence the call to tech support ;)

Last edited:
updated...
^^^ i'm workin on it. I had Mr B look it over before i posted it.

why did you rate hp at a 6 if there where no problems? :confused: maybe you are rating the laptop it'self.

i'm holding your vote temporalolarly till i can get a reply :)

sorry for doing so but i want this poll to be solid accurate.

for those wondering how i plan to keep this thing updated... it's ez. I start at the last post and go backwards to the last of my posts that says updated... from there I tally up all the new votes and add em to a spreadsheet which contains the old votes as well the spreadsheet then spits out an average and a vote total which i use to make adjustments to the poll. ingenious eh?

Last edited:
enduro said:
Dell i8600
Pentium M Dothan 1.6
2*512 Kingmax DDR333
Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro
WSXGA+ 15.4" Widescreen

:D 10/10, just a great notebook. It will play any game out there, even Half Life 2. I couldn't be more pleased. The screen looks great and Dell warranty and service has always been topnotch.

:drool:

Dude...you got my Dell! :p

That is almost exactly how I want to configure one...LOL. Might go a bit higher on the CPU, but that's about it. I'd get one of those Venice Blue snap on covers for it too... :D Nice rig. :thup:

Super Nade said:
HP ze4600us.
No problems but I'll give the clunker a 6/10.

PS*You might want to request a senior/mod to turn this into an official poll ;)

It wouldn't work, unfortunately. 10 options is max for a poll, so you could only have a 1 thru 10 of 10 for one manufacturer per poll. That would necessitate multiple polls, one for each vendor, all stuck....

I wish there was a way to do what you're thinking, but multi options for multi manufacturers within one poll can't be done.

B.

^^^^ i would do that except that I want specific feed back for specific retailers. say we have 4 retailers under other... lets say that 3 of the 4 completelly suck and get an average of 0. now lets say that one retailer is like completelly awsome (10)... and so the score for the one is brought down to 2.5 because it is combined with the other three.

as MR. B stated above even if i did narrow it down to 10 it would still be impossible because there are multiple choices (0-10) for each retailer.

How close am i to a stickey? It would really make my day.... :)

Don't forget that each underlined name is a link to the site (and each link takes you straight to the laptop section of that site).

Dude...you got my Dell!

That is almost exactly how I want to configure one...LOL. Might go a bit higher on the CPU, but that's about it. I'd get one of those Venice Blue snap on covers for it too... Nice rig.

:D Thanks, I love it. The battery life is about 4 hrs of normal use, 2 hrs of gaming approx. The cpu speed is great, I haven't had any problems with it at all, but you might as well upgrade it a bit since it costs so much to replace them lol :D I wouldn't have gotten a 1.8 but the cash was low at that point. Wanted a nice screen and vidcard more.

These chips fold very well too. It finishes a 600 ptr every 58 hrs which isn't half bad for a non HT chip in a lappie.

HP - 9 out of 10

I have a Pavilion ze4420 and I love it. It's not the best in games but it does better than what I thought it would. I've dropped it and it keeps on ticking. The hard drive went bad but it could have been from me dropping it. It also doesn't get to hot, just really warm.

updated...
omg omg omg omg omg omg MY FIRST STICKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *DIES*
this aint the last one neigther i'm allready working on another!!!!! :)

^^^^^

Done!!!

Where am i missing closed brackets? [edit] nevermind I see what u sayin [/edit]

wow that would be another 30 lines of code just to add more links.... I will think about it..... a stickey can only do so much... adding more might make it too cluttery.

Last edited:
I know its a taboo on here, but I own and thus can rate Alienware for their laptops.

Hey, someone’s got to do it right?!

Alienware Area 51m

Hardware: 8/10

-pros-
I've had my laptop since September of 03. Since then I have had no issues with hardware. Nothing has died. They are very well put together systems. Nice and solid feeling when you handle them, although heavy. Also, It's upgradeable so I can switch out for the latest video cards, processor, etc.

-cons-
My particular system has a couple of small quirks. The first being the sound card (i believe). It gives off this clicking/popping noise every once in a while. And it does it through the built in speakers, and through headphones, if connected. Not all the time, and not very loud, but audible and a tad annoying.

Also, the internal wireless card I got gets pitiful reception. I resolved this by getting a router with "speed booster" which helps. But it's just giving the crippled card a wheelchair.

Lastly, the damn thing gets HOT. I, in all seriousness, have burned myself with this thing.

Performance: 9/10

This thing is tremendous. It's still able to play most games out right now with a reasonable resolution and maintain a playable frame rate. The graphics card I got when I purchased the thing is getting a bit out of date now. But it was the best they had when I got it. At any rate this thing can out run the average person's desktop but not the average overclocker's desktop.

Support: 6/10

Their support level depends on what you need to have done. If something's not broken, don't expect too much from them, unless you want to pay. They don't seem too eager to help, and don't really care about how much money you've dumped into their company or their products. Getting back to the hardware upgradeability, they reserve the newest video cards for their new laptops and don't make anything available for upgrade until it's become the second best they've got. Very disappointing...

I have a 3 year warrantee, but gladly have not needed it so far so I can't realistically give a rating on that aspect.

Overall Score: 7/10

It's a great machine, and if I had it to do over again I would without hesitation.

Back