• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beware the "tech guy" at your local comp store

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dylruss said:
As sad as it sounds, when they usually ask me if I need help (assuming if/when I even go to those places), then I just flat out say no. It saves me a headache, and them feeling useless.

Ah, have some fun... live a little.

LOL can my dvd players go in SLi LOL!!

oh man, im goin into a CompUSA and askin "could I get two SCSI-Compliant Video Cards? and do they fit in with the 802.11g standard?? I have been trying to run windows, but the Blue Screen makes me think my video card isn't sending out the right colored pixel into the display device... thats called the CPU? What do you think?"

I wanna see the look onto the employee's face...

then once i was at BestBuy, and I asked if they had any Maxtor 80GB SATAs, cause I was thinkin setting up a RAID and the guy was like 17, hes like "Whats a little kid like you know about setting up a RAID or anything (I'm only 13)"... i just rub a buncha computer stuff into his face (how i was lookin for some specific cards and describing my comp)... you know, the stuff no average idiot knows about... he gives me a confused look and walks away.. hahaha

Jas said:
They will probably take you out back next to the dumpster......
lol they probably would...since they probably sit there smoking when theyre not"working"

I ran into something similar for my son's career fair. My company had a jet engine model (with the fans / turbines rotating) on display. Somebody comes up and asks the guy my company sent "What keeps it running?" The guy says, "the starter keeps it turning." Geez. I ended up explaining it to the person. Later, it turned out the guy my company sent was from the Finance Department. He said he had no idea how they worked. (Obviously) :rolleyes:

"bubbles the Tech Monkey"
ROTFPMPLMAO
Sad, but happens in all industries, Audio/Video, Automotive, Motorcycle, etc., etc., if you are informed before you purchase you are that much further ahead. Buyer beware. Good thing we have the O/C forums, a lot of helpful accurate knowlege flying around here.

haha this made me laugh.

i go to one computer store often and to tell y'all i am 14. this was when i was 10. small kid. go there to buy a comp. the sales guy tries to sell me a bs comp and said i would need all this ****. my dad calls the manager and both of them stand there while i explain to this guy that i know more **** then him about this comp and i know i don't need this. the comp guy just stairs and the manager fires him. it was so funny cause the guy got pissed at me and then the iceing on hte cake happened. the manager asked me if i wanted his job. i said no as i was only 10 but i shop there all the time and the manager gives me some great stuff. he still asks me if i want to work there and i just laugh and say maybe when i'm 16.

this is why you neaver listen to the guys at a comp store unless you really think they know something. unlucky for the aquarious guy he didn't know that bubbles was just trying to con him into buying a bull **** wc. i was going to go to the aquarious as my first wc and then i asked around and i got laughed at they tohught i was crazy to get a ****ty system like that. now i am lucky one of them helped to lead me to the path of DIY WC.

Bubbles LOL LOL LOL that was a funny story. It was so funny because I've seen it happen at Best Buy, Comp USA, Circuit City, and Fry's. Some guy thats just there to get a paycheck on Friday is asked about something he knows nothing about, and what he does know he read off the box, which of course every box hypes up the product like its the best of its kind.

A few times that I saw this type of thing happening I approached "Joe Blow" and told him what he really needed or didn’t need and said to him, "trust me, I've built a computer with water in it." And he takes my advice. I'm the first one that my friends call when they're looking for a computer part because they've seen the systems I've built. But the average "Joe Blow" stands no chance when approached by "Bubbles." OMG that story was so funny!!!

Albaholic said:
lol... when could anyone ever get any good help in stores like these. besides the one or two remotely knowledgable ppl they have to hire.
Yea tell me about it. You'd think they'd hire me but noooooooo. Im stuck working at a damn grocery store :-/

Cant blame the sales guys, companys dont wanna spend money to train or spend even more to hire knowledgeable people.

I doubt you want to buy stuff from a knowledgeable salesman either, hand over a chunk of your wallet so someone can tell you what you already know.......

I dont work in an electronics store but I do work in a store, dont hassle em too much.

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
well...if you arent overclocking, a Reserator is an "extreme" cooler...

still, id love to see the look on one of those guy's faces if he saw my comp...

man i cant count the times ive thought that when im at babbages or ebgames and hear someone talking about thier ultimate gaming gateway or dell.

I've had to correct salespersons in various stores quite a few times myself :\

Some of the employees in one didn't like me very much after a while. Not the manager though, he's always extremely polite to me, might have recognized I reduce future complaints.

Of course I know we should cut them some slack, they're sales persons who should sell the stuff the shops carries and not necessarily tech-addicts like us, but it's still bad service no matter what.

ya should go ask him how Cathar's or Danger Den's blocks compare to the "extreme cooling solutions" that he currently stocks :p

ls7corvete said:
Cant blame the sales guys, companys dont wanna spend money to train or spend even more to hire knowledgeable people.

I doubt you want to buy stuff from a knowledgeable salesman either, hand over a chunk of your wallet so someone can tell you what you already know.......

I dont work in an electronics store but I do work in a store, dont hassle em too much.

the problem here is that the people should learn about the products they sell aside from the training (or lack there of) provided by the company they work for.

i know myself id be fairly embarrased if someone came in asking questions about a product that i didnt know the answer too only to have joe public shopping in the next isle be able to answer them.

and when they recomend the wrong product/lie about the features of a product to sell it thats when it crosses over into the land of the ridiculous. (and yes im that guy to tell them right to their face that they dont have a clue what they are talking about.) in all honesty most people i know dont mind to pay a little more for better service and want to go somewhere where they can talk to someone whos knowledgable in the product they are interested in purchasing. of course at the same time if you as a consumer dont take a few moments to research a product before you purchase it you reap what you sow.

in the end it all comes back to the company your shopping at and in my experince staples and compusa are a couple of the worst places for service help to the computer illeterate. i could triple the size of this post with just some of the colorful things ive heard them say to customers but ill stop the rant here.

So I went back......

And yes, Bubbles was working.....

It took about 10 minutes but I was finally able to go ask him a "question".

I began explaining how I wanted to upgrade my sound card, but I had very specific requirments, being that I did sound editing (butt faced lie of course). I told him I would need a Sound card with 16 pipelines, SLI, conformed to the DVD-R format, and that had at least a 48" head.

Watching him sort through the various boxes, and assuring me they had one for about 15 minutes was just priceless.....

LMFAO, I've never thought about going back to my local bubbles just to see how much I could screw with them... Haha, "Does the number of LEDs in a block affect ur OC? I heard from the computer expert at Fry's that the Photo-Hydro Effect pushes the water through faster... How many flow indicators should I get for my cooling tower system? I know I need one before and after the pump, to make sure it's on, but if I get the chipset block with the built-in indicator, is that gonna be overkill? They push the water, too, right?"

I actually owe my PC experience to a tech monkey at Egghead Software who told my parents, in 1987, to shell out $5,000 for a bells-and-whistles Apple IIgs system, instead of a Mac, because "It's the future!" and "This Mac thing is just a trend that'll never last..." The IIgs was old-school enough that when I was shopping for a new computer a few years later, the Apples looked too fruity, but the Dell 486 over at CompUSA running MS-DOS seemed very familiar. If they had bought that Mac, who knows what woulda happened, I might have fallen and gone to the other side...

(Water + Computers) x Noobage = :eek: NO! DON'T DO THAT!!!

hawtrawkr said:
the problem here is that the people should learn about the products they sell aside from the training (or lack there of) provided by the company they work for.

i know myself id be fairly embarrased if someone came in asking questions about a product that i didnt know the answer too only to have joe public shopping in the next isle be able to answer them.

and when they recomend the wrong product/lie about the features of a product to sell it thats when it crosses over into the land of the ridiculous. (and yes im that guy to tell them right to their face that they dont have a clue what they are talking about.) in all honesty most people i know dont mind to pay a little more for better service and want to go somewhere where they can talk to someone whos knowledgable in the product they are interested in purchasing. of course at the same time if you as a consumer dont take a few moments to research a product before you purchase it you reap what you sow.

in the end it all comes back to the company your shopping at and in my experince staples and compusa are a couple of the worst places for service help to the computer illeterate. i could triple the size of this post with just some of the colorful things ive heard them say to customers but ill stop the rant here.

Im not saying you gotta just put up with it but dont hassle the poor guy trying to get by for a buck over minimum wage. Take it to the manager or who-ever and see some results.

Get a good laugh out of em but dont make things too difficult. :beer:

Back