• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beware the "tech guy" at your local comp store

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I onced asked someone who runs the tech counter at compusa if they carried "raid controllers" simple question, he goes "what are those? usb devices?"

Me and m3x1c4nj3w went to Home Depot the other day and asked, what looked like a pretty knowledgable man, if they carried 1000grit sandpaper(lapping and painting). He replied with: "I don't think that exists since we have the largest variety of sand paper and even WE don't carry it". This caused a female customer nearby to laugh at us so I pulled out a folded piece of paper of a store online which sold 2000 grit sandpaper.

Needless to say, they shut up.

-1cem4n

hehe - owned :D
That's so good that I have store nearby with sign: "abrasive goods" (translating to English).
Guys working there really know their job and can advice some papers or accessories, so you can get better effect in cheaper way. I've never had any problems with them - they've always had papers I wanted, however I've never asked for anything >2500.

Other funy thing - I checked like all supermarkets and supermarkets specialized in stuff for building home - I was looking for styrofoam and stuff for noise insulation - one shop had it. ONE, when I checked nicely >10.

Other thing - computer shop, fast talk:
"hi, have you got 6600GTs?"
"???"
"Nvidia GeForce 6600GT for PCI-E"
"not now, but can you tell what computer it's going to go to?"
(fast explaination, mid-hig end)
"we don't have these cards, but we have ATI x300 - they are great and will be more compatible"
"compatible my ***"
-leaving-

ryufreak said:
holy thread revival...

It's sad that these places won't hire me :( And i know 100000x more than their sales reps. :( bleh

that is the problem, they know you will point the customers to better stores with better prices and people who know what they are talking about.

i had the same issue when i lived in toronto i applied for rogers phone support - lvl1!! - i spoke with these people weekly cause the conenction sucked in my area - i already had all the answers and troubleshooted everything they eve tually just connected me with i think lvl4? support, which was basicaly sending someone out to check the lines.

Or get a very hot looking top of the line PC case and shoehorn an IBM XT hardware, then bring it in to store like Best Buy and ask to buy a new (whatever) top of the line hardware plus installation fee. if they try to back out after realizing whatever doesn't fit, remind them the "contract" requires them to complete the job. Let them sweat bullets.

I'll have to look into this.

4GHZ_or_bust said:
Evil suggestion: dig up your ancient ISA video card with standard VGA port, and call it a 256MB GC designed for Commodore 6500 and that you need it replaced. For effect slap an aftermarket heatsink anywhere on the card to make it look overpowered. Worse the techie can do is jam the ISA card into PCI slot and blow up something.
Man that would be awsome!

Working for an IT company I get my share of whacked out support calls too. First one to come to mind is
Customer: Hi, this is _______ I was wondering something about the front desk computer
Me: ok, whats the problem?
Customer: well we wanted to swap out the monitor with one from the back, can we do that? like is the software installed on the monitor or is it all over?
Me: ....no you can move the monitor, it doesn't matter.

And to the "why wouldn't they hire me" Yes, I even applied for jobs at micro center, best buy, circuit city, and compusa All turned me down, the reasons? "overqualified" :banghead: god that makes my head hurt However I do have to say the MicroCenter near me is FAR above those other stores as for as employee intelligence is concerned, even with the non-tech people (the tech people are quite impressive as well) But best buy and compusa are the worst.

Just remembered another story from CompUSA, its twice as funny because I was wearing my red Compaq shirt, which looked a lot like the outfits employees wear there. Was my dad and I and we were picking up some CDs and other things when this guy comes up to us (I guess thinking I was assisting another customer) and asks what would be a good program for organizing contacts. We replied that we didn't work here but there was someone over there (pointed) that could help him. Well as we listened to what the rep had to say we both looked at each other and we were regretting pointing him out. The guy had recommended ACT Pro, now i know some people like that. but in both my father's and my experiences it is one of the worst, hardest to use, pain in the *** to configure programs out there.

The tech said he would go check to see if they had something in stock so again we took the opportunity to correct the situation, explained the joys of MS Office (Contact Manager) and avaliable free applications with a limited, but far more user friendly feel to them and went on our way. :sigh:

Time4amassiveOC said:
whenever im in a store like that for a part that cant wait for 5day ground i always find myself meandering over to the computer section for a chuckle at the prices for the "new" computers that i wouldnt even want without an upgrade in ram and videocard.
Aye, I do that a lot, I have to wonder what the reps are thinking seeing this guy walk through a section laughing and shaking his head at each computer system :) It just makes me wonder "Why do people buy stuff in B&M stores anymore?"

Last edited:
threeme2189 said:
yeah i like seeing "new" computers at those stores...the 9200 is the best card out there!

No joke. In my Best Buy, they still have the nVidia 5xxx series cards for about $150-200. Sigh...

Keep this thread going :)

You won't belive this but I was directed to this forum by a guy at Fry's. I guess he might know what he's doing...
Since you're in Texas (and so am I), I'm not surprised. Many Texans actually know what they're doing.
I still have to say that I tried to buy a component to VGA cable for my DVD player but the salesmen didn't know what I was talking about. I've seen one being used before so I know that it exists.

I also have to say that there are many people at school who like to pretend that they know tech to catch my attention, but then get confused when I respond. I then say, "You had me. You lost me. You here, messing with my mind." Of course, there were plenty who truly understood IT, so I just became friends with them.

Good thread, but seriously, some of you need to check your egos! Come on... you walk into the store and someone comes to help you out so you have the "holier than thou attitude... the 'you menial tech monkey, you dare look at me... the ubercloXXer look and attitude?" It's their job! True, some... wait, a lot dont know enough about what they are supposed to sell, but give them a chance at least.

Not trying to flame!

- Awperator

Go to compusa and ask for their best ram and they usually point you to a 256 stick of compusa brand PC2100 that costs around $100 and claim it comes from the best memory manf. just with their name on it.

Back