• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To all ATI Experts - emergency help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terminat.

I have an urgent problem with my new Powercolour X800 Pro VIVO 256MB video card.

Okay, here's my spec:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ At 2.4Ghz/1.725V
MSI K7N2 Delta Series Motherboard (Nforce2)
2x512MB OCZ EL DDR PC3500
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 SATA 7200rpm 200GB
2xOptical Drives (Samsung/Lite-On DVD/CD-RW)
Nexus NX-3500 (350W) Special Edition PSU

So, here's my problem:

I take out my 9800 Pro, and put it on the bench. Then I put in the X800 Pro, attaching the power cable to the video card etc. The computer boots up, looking good. Then, suddenly - it restarts. It's on Windows desktop, having loaded up AVG about ten seconds earlier, and it looks like it's all good. Then it just restarts.

So I figured that it was the old Omega drivers I installed with the 9800 that were the problem. Booted into safe mode (which worked fine, so it's probably not a problem with the X800) and uninstalled the vga drivers, ATI Tool and the Samsung TFT monitor drivers.

I even put the bios back to stock settings.

Yet it does exactly the same - what is wrong? :( I have tried everything, but it keeps restarting at the EXACT same point in the Windows desktop when it's loading up the startup programs. Safe mode (from where I'm writing this post from) works fine, but normal Windows XP Home just doesn't.

And - even stranger - I put my old 9800 Pro back in, and it works fine, booting up into Windows normally. What the??

Please - this is my new vid. card, I want it to work :( Help would be really appreciated

I say its the motherboard. Random Restarts like that are usually a hardware issue. Seeing you have an MSI board I blame it. MSI is really ****ty when it comes to power regulation.

ALso before I forget what are your PSU lines looking like?

In summary:

Not enough power going to the system making it unstable
Motherboard has compatibility issues with x800s

Thanks for the reply

Well, my MSI motherboard has worked with everything from a 9600 to a 9800, so it seems weird it would reject an X800.

As for my PSU, I checked in the bios and all the voltages look pretty normal i.e. well within 5% or so of what they're supposed to be. I don't think it's a psu problem, as wouldn't the restarts be random rather than exactly the same every time?

Is there any evidence to suggest my motherboard's incompatible with X800s? Have there been articles on it or something?

If anyone has any idea how to solve this problem, please help me :(

Last edited:
Terminat. said:
I have an urgent problem with my new Powercolour X800 Pro VIVO 256MB video card.

Okay, here's my spec:

So, here's my problem:

I take out my 9800 Pro, and put it on the bench. Then I put in the X800 Pro, attaching the power cable to the video card etc. The computer boots up, looking good. Then, suddenly - it restarts. It's on Windows desktop, having loaded up AVG about ten seconds earlier, and it looks like it's all good. Then it just restarts.

So I figured that it was the old Omega drivers I installed with the 9800 that were the problem. Booted into safe mode (which worked fine, so it's probably not a problem with the X800) and uninstalled the vga drivers, ATI Tool and the Samsung TFT monitor drivers.

Yet it does exactly the same - what is wrong? :( I have tried everything, but it keeps restarting at the EXACT same point in the Windows desktop when it's loading up the startup programs. Safe mode (from where I'm writing this post from) works fine, but normal Windows XP Home just doesn't.

And - even stranger - I put my old 9800 Pro back in, and it works fine, booting up into Windows normally. What the??

Please - this is my new vid. card, I want it to work :( Help would be really appreciated

Sounds to me like PSU issue. You really need a 400w + to run a X800 series.
Although, strange also how you manage to get it to work in Safe mode.

Try this.

Download and run driver cleaner 3. Reinstall all drivers once more.
See if it happens.

If it does then its a PSU problem!!

Really appreciate all your help :)

However, I managed to solve the problem - really weird, have no idea of what it was. I just did a system restore from safe mode to the restore point made on the day before last, and it worked fine from there.

Anyway, thanks again.

You still might consider getting a Fortron 400-500W PSU for your system, that 350W PSU isn't going to cut it if you add much more to your system. If you can afford to spend around a 100 dollars on a PSU, then I'd recommend going with an OCZ Powerstream.

Yeah, i agree id upgrade my powersupply anyway just since that 350 watt one is gonna be cuttin it real close with that x800, and even with the 9800 pro. Maybe if it was a really good quality 350 such as fortron it would be sufficient, but its not.

Terminat. said:

Okay, here's my spec:

So, here's my problem:

Windows is rebooting cause you have it set tp do so when it detects an error (that is the
default),

Boot into safe mode and use Driver Cleaner to remove any ATI driver and registry remnants
then reinstall the Cat 5.1's and see what happens.

Viper

i agree with viper, it is hardly a PSU issue if it reboots always at the exact same point . . . not likely to be PSU. That said, you really need to change it before it DOES give you problems . . . with the hardware you have a good PSU is a must.

hehehe you are the first person i've ever heard to get something good from that system restore thing, i always disable it myself. for safety i would use driver cleaner as was said and reinstall regular cat 5.1 drivers.

Sentential said:
I say its the motherboard. Random Restarts like that are usually a hardware issue. Seeing you have an MSI board I blame it. MSI is really ****ty when it comes to power regulation.

When it doubt blame MSI :bday: hahaha
Don't mind those of us that carry a bit if a grudge against MSI.. blame the NEO2.
Anyway, I would agree with the other suggestions given here. The issue is most likely with your power supply. Try a bios update as well.

Tazon said:
hehehe you are the first person i've ever heard to get something good from that system restore thing, i always disable it myself.

As do I :) System restore just gets in the way for the most part, at least for users like us. But for home users it is a godsend. I can't count how many times it has made my life easier when trying to solve an issue for a home user....

When it doubt blame MSI hahaha
Don't mind those of us that carry a bit if a grudge against MSI.. blame the NEO2.

No kidding, the P4 Neo2 that I owned had it's share of problems..... from what I've heard the 64 version is really bad though. I'm sticking with Abit from now on.

Tazon said:
hehehe you are the first person i've ever heard to get something good from that system restore thing, i always disable it myself.

Same here. Everytime I have ever tried to use a restore point that was more than a few
days old SR would come back and said the restore points couldn't be restored for one
reason or another (cause XP hoses them all by itself lol).

Viper

Almondo said:
Sounds to me like PSU issue. You really need a 400w + to run a X800 series.

I'm running an A64 3400+ w/ 4 HDDs, 1 DVD drive and an X800XTPE on my 380w Antec Truepower. Agreed, my rails are low, but it's 100% prime stable :).

However...Terminat: With a 350w PSU though, power is quite likeley to be cause - my suggestion is to unplug all you can and see if it solves the problem :). (I've had to unplug one of my DVD drives so that my PC will boot!)

Binny.

Terminat. said:
Safe mode (from where I'm writing this post from) works fine, but normal Windows XP Home just doesn't.

Should have read your post a little better before replying last time ;) - if you can get into safe mode then there's a chance is it not the psu. You reinstalled windows to see if it makes any difference? It'll only take you a night to do, and it 'd be the first thing I'd try.

Binny.

Back