• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob question in wrong section (probably)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
most decent aftermarket HSF's use a factory-supplied mounting bracket, or just use screws through the mobo to mount

Sneaky said:
most decent aftermarket HSF's use a factory-supplied mounting bracket, or just use screws through the mobo to mount

NOTE: DO NOT DRILL HOLES THROUGH YOUR MOTHERBOARD.

-Sam

EDIT: P.S. I think you have your RAM timings backward in your sig.

so....does anybody have a 754 mobo w/ the bracket....maybe ill move this to the mobo section.....i guess ill fix my sig too....thanks

you can remove the stock retention mechanism, you can always ask if you need help, but generally you need to remove the push pins that hold it in place (im not sure, so check it out first)

samuraisam said:
NOTE: DO NOT DRILL HOLES THROUGH YOUR MOTHERBOARD.

-Sam

EDIT: P.S. I think you have your RAM timings backward in your sig.

He was referring to a back plate that some HS Manufacturers use to mount their HS. You remove the old retention bracket and replace it with their setup. If you go to this website Thermalright and under Installation look at the SP-97 it will show you what sneaky is talking about.

if i was over at my friends house with my digi cam, i'd show you what i mean, but i'm not

all K8/754/939/940 boards use the same socket mounting type - they have a plastic backplate which has 2 small nuts that are threaded inside it, these allign with the motherboard holes, and with the plastic bracket on top of the motherboard (the one with the clips)

you often have to unscrew the 2 screws, and remove the top mounting bracket and backplate to install a new heatsink - most mfg's of decent heatsinks supply their own backplate

thermaltake supplies a new top peice, but uses your current backplate - the top plate is the same design as P4 478 brackets have, so that it works with the 478 clips on the thermalright XP-90 & 120's

if you still don't have the idea, i'll set up a google images how-to collage :p

no no i got it now....you remove the plastic thing that holds the stock HS...and then put on a back plate.....(like i did on my socket A board w/ thermalright HS)...thanks

prankstar008 said:
no no i got it now....you remove the plastic thing that holds the stock HS...and then put on a back plate.....(like i did on my socket A board w/ thermalright HS)...thanks

yup you got it. :thup:

Back