• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper Transmission Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thegreek

I found a Transmission Cooler with internals made of copper and fins made out of aluminum.

It's dimensions are 7.5" x 17" x .75" (WxLxD)

I am thinking about putting this in a v2100 on the bottom which would fit perfectly and stick (2) 172mm Comair Rotron Falcons on it sucking air through a shroud.

This is the only tranny cooler I found made of copper tubes and cost only $29.99. Tell me what you guys think.

Here is what they look like (all different sizes)
0e_1_b.JPG

Ithink you'll better end with heatercores. These are for high-pressure stuff. Heatercores don't need to care about high pressure and you can benefit from their low pressure drop design. Radiators you've shown may be great for phase change cooling tho...

Yea those also will kill performance(quad pass). BUT, You might beable to creat a killer dual loop system. However, dual loop systems are very touchy and hard to design.

They have been used before, and I know of at least one person who had very good results with a large unit of that style: mounted externeally on a tower case it took up most of the side and passively cooled a 100watt cpu.

But copper coil-type radiators are less efficient as a rule although I think they may work pretty well with low-cfm fans. (Thick heater cores/rads need stronger, louder fans to get air through.)

If you want max performance, I'd say skip it but for a QUIET system they may do pretty well.

agree with roger.

if oyu want to know a bit more read my sticky that has to do with how cores work and rads as the way the tubes are wound in a multi layer rad are influencial to the disipation in referance to air flow through them.

This is what you want:

http://www.tsscoolers.com/Merchant2...&Product_Code=13504&Category_Code=deraleplate

It's effectively the same as a heatercore, but much thinner. It can also mount 4 120mm fans (measurements include the tanks and barbs). I've got the cooler that's one size down, because as far as I knew at the time the measurements were the finned area. They're not. The one I linked fits 4 120mm fans PERFECTLY, whereas mine doesn't. Another guy on ProCooling has his hooked up in an external box with his pump and 4 120mm Yate Loon fans attached to it. It's a hell of a thing. I get pretty damn good results with my cooler with just two 120mm Sanyo Denki's undervolted on it. It's quieter than my heatercore was and performs just as well. The thing is though, it's aluminum so you will need 10-15% antifreeze in there to prevent corrosion of your copper parts.

Alacritan said:
This is what you want:

http://www.tsscoolers.com/Merchant2...&Product_Code=13504&Category_Code=deraleplate

It's effectively the same as a heatercore, but much thinner. It can also mount 4 120mm fans (measurements include the tanks and barbs). I've got the cooler that's one size down, because as far as I knew at the time the measurements were the finned area. They're not. The one I linked fits 4 120mm fans PERFECTLY, whereas mine doesn't. Another guy on ProCooling has his hooked up in an external box with his pump and 4 120mm Yate Loon fans attached to it. It's a hell of a thing. I get pretty damn good results with my cooler with just two 120mm Sanyo Denki's undervolted on it. It's quieter than my heatercore was and performs just as well. The thing is though, it's aluminum so you will need 10-15% antifreeze in there to prevent corrosion of your copper parts.

the one I mentioned is made of copper... plus its long rather than wide.. so it'll fit most cases

If you want a low flow quiet setup those derale 7000 series are perfect. Just follow the same design as a lot of those low flow small ID tubing German setups. Derale has a hand full of other series, but the only one that looks benificial is the 8000 which is what was already linked above.

Having aluminum and copper in your loop isnt that big of a deal if you just use the proper additives. If I had to pick between the 8000 and 7000 Id go 8000 just because of the lower pressure drop.

but as an fyi that 13203 one you mentioned is up for auction right now: linky 30$ delivered isnt bad at all =)

The problem with the one you posted that's made of copper is that it sucks performancewise compared to a heatercore style transmission cooler. People used to use the type you linked to and they're just not as good.

Aluminum is not that big of a deal. Drop some antifreeze in there and you've got nothing to worry about. You'd need to have additives in there anyway to prevent corrosion and growth, so just add a little more and you open up lots more options for parts. I don't know why people get hung up on this.

Back