• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spray Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masterwoot

My engineer friend showed me this company that's in my neck of the woods: SprayCool.

I've not heard of this, but it looks way cool. I'm sure some of you more "expert" members know all 'bout it.

(Of course, I'd be glad to help test their product out for 'em. . .)

Ok.....who is going to try to spray Midel synthetic ester directly onto their mb, it would solve the problem of needing a large amount to cool your board.
Com-on you can do it, chilled even...... :)

It is in a sealed loop. The part that does evaporate is run through a codenser and pumped back over the mobo.

My guess is the fuild has a low boiling point, low enough to cool the compoents below room temp but yet will still condense back easilly.

There is a pump driving the whole system as well. It's like putting your system in a part washer or something. The fluid is sprayed on, evaprorates or drips off, is condensed and collected, and then sprayed on agina.

I'm pretty certain these are all questions the company has had to deal with. They've certainly figured something out if they have "over 190 employees".

Also, you have to look at this article which included this pic:

spray.jpg

Or for the wacky "high altitude applications" look at this

And for the "harsh environment applications" read this which includes info like
"The evaporative cooling approach has many fundamental benefits. First, the high efficiency of evaporative cooling actually allows junction temperatures to be reduced. . "

what type of temperatures can they deal with and more importantly get a modern cpu to operate at? it seems like this is more orientated for a clientel who needs to keep things small like a room full of servers and things of that nature.

from the looks of it this system isnt so much in the market to provide an extreme cooling effect as it is a way to use some phase change cooling to get typical cooling temps. probably about as effective as watercooling from the initial looks of things.

the small mist of coolant isnt a refrigerant but more a mixture of some dielectric liquid.

this reminds me of the cooling solution that was used in the summer olympics in australia or a setup much like what youd see on the sidelines of a football game where they just use the evaporative properties of water to cool.

almost like a reverse bong cooling solution where the water (or in this case the dielectric solution) is sprayed on the componets to cool them rather than sprayed in the air to cool the water as in a traditional bong cooler.

im going to have to learn more about it though only read the small snippet on the spraycool technology link in upper left. (work sucks)

Last edited:
I looked into spray cooling solutions a couple years ago. I first read about it being used in the Cray SV2 (not produced). They were jet spraying flourinert againts the die and were able to double the amount of processors per cabinet than compared to air cooling. It speeds up the fluid cycle thereby reducing the amount of coolant needed (the main reason cray used it(flourinert=expensive)). If you could find a dialectric material that has similar properties to freon, you would be able to perform direct phase change in the same manner as direct die water cooling. The system stores less watts of energy, but can remove it at a faster pace. The drawback is, a failure in the system would be even more catastrophic due to less heat storage. An advantage is that the coolent is sprayed on with a high enough force that there is no thermal boundry layer adhearing to the surface to be cooled via surface tension.

Back