• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the Aux plug for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BC|Wulf

What is that 6-pin Aux plug for on a PSU anyways? I have been dealing with computers since I was 10 (almost 30 now) and I have never used that connector.

In older boards the main voltages used were 3.3 Volts and 5 Volts. If you had a system that required more then [email protected] V or 24A@5 Volts. This would exceed the ratings of the ATX connector of the board. since the above loads are the max the connector can handle. If this happened the motherboard came with a connector for this plug to supply extra 3.3 and 5 VDC to the board. You generally only seen this plug used on older multi-processor boards.

Since todays boards use more 12VDC then anything else they added the ATX12V connector. However that 6 pin connector still comes with every PSU since it is still part of the specs that are required in order for a PSU to be a true ATX PSU.

If there are still any computers that old that are still running....I would love to see pictures of that! So besides the ancient boat anchors....the 6-pin serves no purpose in the computers of today.....cool it is going to be removed then!

Back