• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Please Need Extreme Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wiggyuk

I am building a new system and I want to achieve some extreme cooling but I wnat it all built within my case not outside like you see alot of them any ideas which way I can go ?

you can go 1 of 2 routes here i think-
1- get a peltier (TEC) cooling system
2- get an older vapochill with the system built into the top of the case

which would be easier and which would give me the best results, remember this will be my first extreme cooling project.

TEC's - need watercooling system to use properly, take up a fair amount of power, moderately expensive, good results
Phase coolers (vapochill/prometeia) - stand-alone units, most expensive, best performance

So if i was to go down the vapochill road, it would just mean buyinga unit and installing it in my case ? I was looking to build something by myself ?

The vapochill units they are talking about are cases that have a direct die phase change unit built into the tops of them. You could just put your computer in the case and slap the evaporator on your cpu.

Newer phase change systems like the vapochill LS or a mach 1 or 2 are boxes about the size of a shuttle that sit under your regular case and have an evaporator coming out the top of them to put on your cpu.

You can make your own direct die phase change system and fit it all into a case if you want, but it won't be easy. Your probably best to make larger system in a seperate case first.

If you want to run a pelt system you will need the pelt, a powersupply for it, and a watercooling system that can handle about a 300 watt heat load (read BIG).

How expensive all the options are depends on how much work you are willing to do. Most expensive would be to just buy a mach 2 or something like that. This could cost anywhere from $400 to $1000 depending on where you live and what deals you can find. The pelt setup with cooling could range anyware from $350 or so to about $100 depending on what you use for a powersupply and for watercooling parts. Making your own phase change system isn't that expensive if you get used parts and make your own evaporator and do everything yourself. You will need some specialty tools though which cost a bit, and it is a fair amount of work and learning.

man_utd said:
Building a phase change system without knowing what you are doing is both hard and dangerous...

True, but if you are willing to learn how to do it, you can make a system fairly easily. Making one that will fit into any normal sized case is a whole other problem.

Here are some guides and usefull links for anyone who want's to make their own DD sytem:

Phase-Change Basics 1: Using the Tools

Phase-Change Basics 2: Setting Up a System

How-To:Direct die by BOWMAN

XtremeSystems Forum on DD cooling (crazy people who know what they are doing)

Back