• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded System...Far Cry Poor Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluediamond

Recently I upgraded my whole system (see sig). I upgraded from an Athlon 2600+ Mobile @ 2.5 GHz and a Sapphire 9600 XT to an Athlon 64 3200 @ 2.4 GHz and an MSI nx6600 GT (1040/570). With my previous system I could run high quality settings in Far Cry and everything looked great. I assumed that by upgrading to a far superior card (6600 gt) that the game would look even better. That is not the case, in fact even at medium settings the game looks horrible. I have attached some pics to show as an example.

My 3dMark 2001 scores with the 9600 xt were around 13,000, with the 6600 gt I am getting 21,000. The rest of my games look great (Half Life, Doom 3, UT2004) so there is something with Far Cry.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• FarCry0004.jpg
    FarCry0004.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 95
  • FarCry0003.jpg
    FarCry0003.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 75
  • FarCry0002.jpg
    FarCry0002.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 72
I hang out at the UBI:Farcry forum and this question comes up a lot. Even 6800's have problems with Far Cry. In general, Nvidia Cards are better for DOOM3, ATI for Far Cry and HL2. (OpenGL vs D3D) But im not sure that is the whole story. You are not the only one to have this concern but I have yet to see a fix. The only recommendations I've seen are to run the 1.31 FC patch, update video drivers, update chipset drivers. In your case, make sure you have cleaned out ATI drivers before installing Nvidia drivers (which I assume you've done since you had to reinstall windows anyway)

The pics attatched look different to what far cry looked like on my system the water looks alot darker doesnt look the same, ive seen Far Cry on Nvidia and Ati cards but that looks diff.

Thanks for the responses. I have the most current video card drivers, but I haven't installed the Far Cry patch yet.

fabulouscoops said:
In general, Nvidia Cards are better for DOOM3, ATI for Far Cry and HL2. (OpenGL vs D3D)

If that is the case, it seems that I should get at least the same performance, if not better with the 6600 gt card than I did with the 9600 xt card.

I installed both 1.1 & 1.3 Patch and that fixed my problems. Thanks for everyones help.

I installed 1.3 straight of a fresh install of far cry and i to have a 6600GT should i uninstall 1.3 then install 1.1 then 1.3? or does 1.3 add both?

jenko said:
I installed 1.3 straight of a fresh install of far cry and i to have a 6600GT should i uninstall 1.3 then install 1.1 then 1.3? or does 1.3 add both?
1.3 on a fresh install will add all the changes. You do not need to install 1.1. You do need to install 1.31 on top of 1.3, though.

Hmm yeah those graphics look totally different to mines almost more crisp altho i have them on very high. Uninstall drivers reinstall new ones maybe

Back