• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium II 400Mhz; Possibilites?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stereomaster

Hello,

I have a Pentium II 400Mhz Slot 1 CPU (Compaq Computer) and I noticed that the motherboard controls for changing the CPU MHz are some jumpers on the motherboard, a very clear diagram appears to tell me that the maximum Mhz that can be enabled would be up to 500Mhz. This would be great if I get a Slot 1 Pentium III 500Mhz. But I was wondering, is it safe to Overclock from 400Mhz to 500 Mhz? And if it or isn't, can you please tell me of the consequences of overclocking? I've heard a lot of things, but I'd would just like a simple explination of the cons of overclocking.

Thanks,
Stereomaster

Well, you wouldn't have a P3 500mhz, you'd have a P2 500mhz(which never existed).

The cons of overclocking is the risk of damaging your cpu and other components. There's always a risk.

BUT, I can tell you many people have never had anything damaged from overclocking. If you follow a few rules then your risks are slim to none.

1. Never bump your voltage more than .3v unless you have very good cooling.

2. Always have very good cooling :)

3. Look at number 2 again

Hehe, seriously, if you have a good heatsink and fan, with some thermal grease, you should be ok for a jump from 400 to 500mhz.

But remember, all CPUS are different, so no one knows if you can even hit the 500mhz mark. You have to try to see.

Up your FSB one step at a time. If you hit a block, try upping the voltage. If that fails, try better cooling. If that fails, your probably stuck.

One last thing, take a look at overclockers.com for the beginner guides if anything sounded like crazy talk to you.

Good luck!

What model number do you have ? If it's a Presario, you can look for your model here and find out all your overclocking possibilities :

http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/

after you choose your model, go to jumper settings (something like that), and check to see what jumpers need to be moved to obtain what.

Good luck !

EDIT : One more thing that overclocking can do is reduce the life of your hardware (one of the reasons why you must have good cooling). But don't worry, it wont break down under your nose just because you increase the FSB or the multiplier ! (it reduces the life of your processor by some months to some years, depending on the quality and on the amount of the OC)

And check in the CPU Database on the front page to see if other people have done this before.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all the help already guys, oh and my Compaq model number is 4880. Normal Desktop Computer.

Thanks again,

Stereomaster

sorry to put a dampner on the party, but chances are your FSB(bus) possibilties will be limited to 66 and 100Mhz Bus, and as the pII is multiplier locked, there's probly no way to OC it :¬(} , as the multiplier is locked at 4(mutli)x100MHz(Bus)=400MHz(CPU speed).

Back