• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows reboots when i try to access Properties

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hamspiced

Xp seems to reboot whenever i try to access properties of anything in the My Computer area.

I try to access the properties of the C Drive and it reboots (right click C:/ and click properties) i try to access the properties of the dvd drive, same, same even goes for my Flash drive.

Im running WIndows Xp fully updated, no viruses or Spyware that i know of.

Amd xp 2500+ barton, lanparty Nf2 mobo, 160gb hdd, and 512 of mushkin ram.

anyone got any ideas?

You could start your troubleshooting by opening Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors)...Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and click OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click any error message(s) (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Write down a couple of the latest critical error messages exactly as they appear (under the "Description" field), and post them in this thread.

Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.

there were no critical errors other then my Aol Instant Messanger which errors once every two weeks... i tried accessing properties of a cd drive, it rebooted then i typed Eventvwr in the run box... it didnt have any errors listed

Problem devices... the only thing it has listed is that i dont have my raid drivers installed for my mobo... since im not using the Raid feature... i figured i didnt need to install the drivers.

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest installing the latest v5.10 of the Unified Driver Package from nVidia here...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_5.10

Problem devices... the only thing it has listed is that i dont have my raid drivers installed for my mobo... since im not using the Raid feature... i figured i didnt need to install the drivers.
How do you have all of your devices (the two 160GB Maxtor's, and the CD-RW/DVD-RW) connected to the board? Do you have any HDD(s) connected to the RAID controller...in an IDE configuration? If so, then you'll need to install the non-RAID IDE controller drivers (for the Highpoint controller), contained within the above UDP package. You need to have at least SP1 installed prior to installing the UDP. From what I remember of the LP boards...since there's only a single SATA header, both SATA and RAID devices cannot be used at the same time?

Last edited:
redduc900 said:
If you haven't done so already, I would suggest installing the latest v5.10 of the Unified Driver Package from nVidia here...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_5.10

How do you have all of your devices (the two 160GB Maxtor's, and the CD-RW/DVD-RW) connected to the board? Do you have any HDD(s) connected to the RAID controller...in an IDE configuration? If so, then you'll need to install the non-RAID IDE controller drivers (for the Highpoint controller), contained within the above UDP package. You need to have at least SP1 installed prior to installing the UDP. From what I remember of the LP boards...since there's only a single SATA header, both SATA and RAID devices cannot be used at the same time?

i just have both drives to one IDE connector and one is slave one as master. Both are partitioned 80/80 with a boot of linux on one.

Back