• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this motherboard fried?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
A couple of days ago, my fathers friend gave him his old matrox millenium video card. My dad, thinking it was better than his geforce2 GTS 32mb card because it had two monitor ports, decided to open up his computer and swap the cards out. During this process, he apparrantly forgot to unplug the power supply and now the computer is totally trashed. No signal is recieved from the video card and the BIOS won't start up at all. I'm pretty sure he toasted the motherboard, but I wanted to get a second opinion before going out and replacing it for him.

The system he toasted was a Dell Dimension 4100 series with a pentium3 1ghz. I could use a few suggestions on what motherboard to get. Just last week, I bought him a second stick of of 256 meg crucial pc133 ram, so I think I want to stick with that instead of go for DDR or RDRAM. I also noticed that the motherboard in there is rectangular in shape and has little room for anything different. I wanted to be sure I don't need to replace the case for it because it looks like I would have trouble getting a board like my Asus A7m266 in there.

One last thing: I am pretty sure Dell would replace the motherboard for us at no cost, but my dad feels that is dishonest since it was him that killed it and not a product defect.

First ask Dell for costumer support
Remember: dun tell him what you do! Tell him I was playing minesweeper and this thing suddenly crashes!

If they don't help you...
Try all the hardware on another PC (ur dad' friends!)

If the motherboard is burn (Like mine...but i dun care!) go get a Intel i815EP motherboard (urs Coppermine rite? not katmai?)

Brand is Asus CuslC-2
Or if you want, get Iwill Wo2 or MSI

Sounds like a dead board to me! I've done the same thing a few times,Usually it is just the Motherboard but it might have taken out other parts as well, so check everything!

Also your Dad gets 10 points for honesty- too many people here destroy there equipment by overclocking it or modding it and try to get it fixed or RMA'd for free- man I hate that! It's straight up stealing. It hurts all of us by forcing them to raise prices to offset service costs.

Good luck with that board- personally I'd tell Dell exaclty what happened, I bet they replace it anyway-

Thanks for the help. If dell won't fix the system for us, i was probably going to go for a MSI board. They seem decently priced and I have not heard any complaints.

Back