• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Windows Font Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

Ok not sure how to explain this, but I seem have to deleted some needed fonts within windows and cant seem to get them back, I have had a friend zip all his default windows fonts and I installed them but that did not seem to fix it. All websites and related stuff are all in a different font and its italic - I will post a few pics to explain. Anyhow I need to know how to set my fonts on IE and in windows back to default and non italic.

Attachments

• fonts1.jpg
    fonts1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 40
  • fonts2.jpg
    fonts2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 43
Check to make sure you have the Arial.ttf in your fonts folder..."C:\WINDOWS\Fonts". When that particular font is missing, programs will often-times substitute the Arial Italic.ttf font to replace it....since the Arial font is the default for a number of programs. If that doesn't work for you, delete any and all shortcuts in the fonts folder ("C:\WINDOWS\Fonts"), and replace them with the actual font file. By expanding the following Key in the Registry (Start | Run | Type...regedit, and click OK)...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | WindowsNT | CurrentVersion | Fonts

...you can also double check the path of each font and look for any suspicious paths (check all the path's listed in the RH pane of the above listed Key).

When a rogue program decides to install its own version of system fonts, it may replace the original version of the font file with a shortcut in the fonts folder. Once this program is uninstalled, the shortcut may now point to a font file that no longer exists. XP in turn reacts by turning all unspecified fonts into italics upon next reboot.

Ok I have the Arial.ttf file in the windows/fonts folder, and just to make sure I even removed the Arial Italic.ttf to a diff location, still no go. I have checked the registry as you suggested and all looks well.

Is there no way at all to just select the font you want for IE or anything? Have searched and cant seem to find one, I mean there has to be a reg key that says IE Font=x and that should be able to be changed as anything else

ya tried that also, not working, select any font in the left ,and courier new on the right box hit ok and reboot and no go :/

Create a work folder i.e. C:\Tempfont | Insert your XP CD in the drive and exit from the auto-run. Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK | Assuming your CD drive is D:, type the following commands hitting ENTER after each...

D:
CD i386
EXPAND *.TT_ C:\TEMPFONT
EXPAND *.FO_ C:\TEMPFONT
C:
CD \TEMPFONT
REN *.TT_ *.TTF
REN *.FO_ *.FON
EXIT

That will extract all 298 fonts to C:\Tempfont. You can then go to the Fonts folder, browse to C:\Tempfont...and select the ones you need. Check the "Copy to fonts folder" box before OK. Once you're sure you have everything you need, you can delete the work folder. You could also try this...

Move the contents of the Fonts folder to an empty folder. By opening the Fonts folder, select all the fonts, then copy and paste them to a new folder. Open your Registry (Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK) and expand the following branch (same as I noted above)...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | Fonts

Highlight the "Fonts" Key and press DELETE. Once the key has been deleted create a new Key to replace it, by selecting Edit-->New-->Key...and name the new Key Fonts. Restart the computer, then re-install the fonts by opening the Control Panel, double-click on "Fonts". From the File menu select "Install New Fonts...", adding the fonts that were previously copied to the temporary directory.

Fonts Supplied with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm

How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q254768

TrueType Fonts Shipped with Microsoft Applications
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q123084

YAY its fixed, redduc you are the man, have been trying to fix that for ages now !! props to the OC.com crew, I knew there was a reason to stick around amidst LucaWicasa's bad smell :D

well now another problem has arisen, the normal fonts are back but some programs have a font that is like 10x to large and im not sure how to set them to default or user defined - see attached pic

Attachments

• large.jpg
    large.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 50
have done that, no font is set any larger then 10pt - look at my Trillian in the upper right hand corner of that screenshot - the font there is fine within the program, but when i go to settings its huge like that ventrilo is.

Do me a favor and uninstall WinRAR...make sure the WinRAR directory in the Program Files folder has also been uninstalled. Reboot and reinstall the program...then recheck your fonts in WinRAR. I think it's possible the programs you're having problems with may have somehow lost their association with the font attributes when we deleted, then recreated the Fonts Registry Key...and/or deleted the contents of the original Fonts folder.

Back