• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best wireD router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simontoyou

Registered
I'm sick of my cheapo belkin model something or other, and I don't want to set up a wireless router. I'm only going to hook up 3-5 computers MAX and I use applications like Bittorrent and p2p programs.

What I'm looking for a router is mostly reliability. I'm tired of getting disconnected when I turn on my spare computer. Relatively new routers would be ideal (I consider something old that's made before year 2002) because of new options and easier navigation, like easier accessibility to port forward or something.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Price? Bleh, anything will do hehe.

The best router ever is an old PC (original Pentium is fine) running Linux. Nothing can beat that especially for applications which need lots of simultaneous connections like P2P. There are various router distros which only need a floppy to run, like CoyoteLinux but are still administered via a web interface.

2nd best might be a small router which runs Linux like the Linksys WRT54G. It is a WiFi router but afaik it has normal ethernet ports too.

Back