• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Guide to Power Supply Pin removers (ATX/P4 and Molexes)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
damnit, i got my werid papermate pen, and the male part works, but not the female, and im using an Exacto Knife Blade and twisting around and its not making it much much bigger, and it wont fit..
:(

The perfect pens for me were the black/white papermate pens, the tip is black. You pull out the black tip and then clean the ink out.

SeanB66 said:
Do u hand move the 7/64 drill bit around , or what..

yeah, grab the drill bit with your thumb/index and twist it clockwise... around 2CM should suffice the thing slipping over the pin.

They should have tiny little tabs on the top/bottom of the connector. If they don't, I dunno how to remove them.

After dealing with the mess of the ink in my sink, I have successfully cleaned out the tube for MALE molex plugs... I'm having trouble making it work with female. I have a feeling that I need a MUCH thicker tube... any clue where I can find a thicker tube cuz my pens all seem to be the same size as the one I already made, which is too thin for female. I feel like even if I shave it alllll the way, that it'll still have a rough time fitting it over female. :(

g0dM@n said:
After dealing with the mess of the ink in my sink, I have successfully cleaned out the tube for MALE molex plugs... I'm having trouble making it work with female. I have a feeling that I need a MUCH thicker tube... any clue where I can find a thicker tube cuz my pens all seem to be the same size as the one I already made, which is too thin for female. I feel like even if I shave it alllll the way, that it'll still have a rough time fitting it over female. :(

Er, normally you need a thinner tube for your problem. I use the black/white paper-mate pens with the flat black cover on the back, and the pull-out front.

SolidxSnake said:
Er, normally you need a thinner tube for your problem. I use the black/white paper-mate pens with the flat black cover on the back, and the pull-out front.
Huh? I need a thicker tube... not thinner... I can't get the tube around the female pins.

I just used this sticky to sleeve my psu. It took a long time to get the tube right, but in the end it worked very well. You do have to give it a decent pull from the back to get it to come free. Another thing is to twist the tube, that way the pins on the molex are guaranteed to be depressed.

Hi Guys,

Just out of interest, i am planning on changing over my 24 pin ATX connector to a connectX UV reactive ATX plug... Thing is, although i have all the proper tools for removing the pins etc, my issue is that i can change over the connector each wire one by one to make sure they all go in the right place, but if i want to re-sleeve the main ATX cabe, i will need to completely remove all pins so i can slip the nylon wrap/sleeve over the wires, then heatshrink the ends, then add connector back on again...

Question is, how will i do this but still maintain correct pin placements of all 24 pins??

Many of the wires are the same colours so that wont work, then i thought i could put little sticky lables on each wire but then they will not fit through the sleeve anyway??

Please help before i really bugger it up! ;)

Cheers guys,

Andy

Andology said:
Hi Guys,

Just out of interest, i am planning on changing over my 24 pin ATX connector to a connectX UV reactive ATX plug... Thing is, although i have all the proper tools for removing the pins etc, my issue is that i can change over the connector each wire one by one to make sure they all go in the right place, but if i want to re-sleeve the main ATX cabe, i will need to completely remove all pins so i can slip the nylon wrap/sleeve over the wires, then heatshrink the ends, then add connector back on again...

Question is, how will i do this but still maintain correct pin placements of all 24 pins??

Many of the wires are the same colours so that wont work, then i thought i could put little sticky lables on each wire but then they will not fit through the sleeve anyway??

Please help before i really bugger it up! ;)

Cheers guys,

Andy

Well, if you have the same colors in the same spot it won't matter. Just remember which number is which pin on the connector. Make a diagram on a sheet of paper, draw out the 24 pins of your connector on a sheet as if you were looking into the connector and then to the right label each pin by color. After you've sleeved the cable (make sure to leave a bit of room at the end to give some play in the cables and allow them to bend to make them fit into the ATX Connector), re-insert the pins according to the diagram. To aid you, the wires will (hopefully) stay in the shape of the ATX connector.

Back