• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Howto - LCD modules showing temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you mean something like this then all you do is cut a hole big enough for the panel in a spare drive bay cover and clip it in, and shove the bezel on the front. Then just run the probes back through the case to wherever you want to keep an eye on. They run off AA batteries fine.

If you want a proper LCD display such as these ones then you'd need to break out C++ or VB and write a bit of code to interface with MBM5. First one is easier heh.

yeah...I'm talking about the second type...unfortunately

I can't find any of the first type around here...I can, however, find that very nice LCD module on the PCB...besides, I think I might be able to display other stuff on the screen too apart from temps, like messages and stuff...

This is the LCD module I can get my hands on:

**** Smith Electronics - Z4172 LCD module 16 x 2

and other materials, such as resistors can be sourced from www.dse.com.au

The coding doesn't bother me...I've found some coding on the internet that looks like it does that...the problem is hooking it up to a thermoprobe and somehow, if needed, making it interact with the coding...I basically don't know where to attach the bits and bobs...

Can anybody help?

Thanks all

Last edited:
www.ocmojo.com has some articles on hooking LCDs up to the serial port. You will need to write a VisualBasic application to send the output though. You will be able to send any data you wish to the LCD screen. Tom H. of ocmojo has a graphical LCD write up in the works I'm told.

Heh...I can't understand it...Doh!:(

Well, the bit about the 'Making a Serial LCD' using the adapter went way over the top of my head...Its too technical

still anymore suggestions?...anyone had first-hand experience?

I bought some $15 thermal probes called "Compunurse". I used my dremel to make a opening in the faceplate of the case for the display and glued the probe end to the heatsink. Cheap, quick and easy.

Back