• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need New Reliable PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[UCF]YellowDart

Registered
Have done alota upgrades to my PC, and i need a new PSU badly. I do alot of gaming and overclocking, and would like something under $100.

AthlonXP-M ~2.5/2.6Ghz
2x512MBGB PC3200 Corsair EL Platinum Rev 2
2x74gb 10kRPM SATA Raptor Hard Drives
1x120gb 7.2kRPM SATA Hard Drive
BFG 6800GT w/ NVSilencer 5
SB Audigy 2 ZS
3.5 Floppy
CD Burner IDE
DVD player IDE
DVD Burner IDE
6 Case Fans
Aftermarket North and Southbridge Coolers

Overkill?
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-104-973&DEPA=0

Last edited:
Well since you overclock and game and have quite alot of hardware running in your comp, I would also suggest the OCZ Pstream 520w like Sentential did.

$40 more bucks for this psu is worth it imo. It's powerful, BTX, 24 or 20 Pin connector, pci-e ready, and adjustable pots.

not a "pizzah" fan. i leave the "OMG THAT LOOKS SO COOL" mods to my xbox, and just do performance with my pc. so does OCZ make anything like that without the useless LEDs?

kiljaden5 said:
the FSP AX500-A also has adjustable pots, except inside... so I don't know what the big deal is about the OCZ

1% tolerance on the voltages, opposed to 5% like most every other PSU. Easily adjustable Pots, Comes with all required connectors for future proofing. Nice looking case for added Bling. Just to name a few.

Electron Chaser said:
1% tolerance on the voltages, opposed to 5% like most every other PSU.

Minor point - Xbit labs has tested them accurately to 4%, though many times they did hold to 1%. Not sure I'd consider that part of it any better than Fortron actually - my 530w also holds to 1% tolerances or better under most circumstances too.

IMO right now, the only advantage I can see to OCZ is the warranty, looks, connectors, and ease of pot adjustment.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
IMO right now, the only advantage I can see to OCZ is the warranty, looks, connectors, and ease of pot adjustment.
Which is quite a bit. But you pay nearly 50bucks more :-/ I'd go with one of the Fortrons, unless you don't mind spending 50 bucks more for the more you get. :)

Sentential said:
Hell no thats not overkill. Infact its what I was going to reccomend. However if you like a PSU with a little more pizzah have a look at this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-152&depa=0

Is this peak current or continuous current on the 12V rails? I'm about to build a new DFI NF4 system, and was thinking about the coolermaster RS-450-ACLY, and it has dual 12V rails at 18A and 16A peak, but only 12A and 10A continuous. It's a great PSU that I use in my main P4 system.

The Fortron blue storm specs look great, but they don't tell you if they are peak or continuous. Does anyone here know how to read the numbers vs. the Coolermaster?

The coolermaster is available widely for $80-90, and often locally, so no need for mailorder.

Thanks,
Mike

mikesm said:
The Fortron blue storm specs look great, but they don't tell you if they are peak or continuous. Does anyone here know how to read the numbers vs. the Coolermaster?

The datasheet on this model states that the AX500 is capable of 460w at 25 degrees. However, SPCR tested it thoroughly and found it still doing 460w at 40 degrees. It's a very solid performer - they accidentally put double the maximum load rating on the 3.3v and 5v, and it still ran for 20 minutes without overheating or shutting down (though I would advise against doing that ;) ). It's not really a 500w unit, but it will power most systems very well indeed.

The only peak rating I've ever seen for a Fortron is on the 530w, which can borrow power from the 5v rail to increase that unit's capability to 28A @ 12v. On every other Fortron, when they rate their rails it's a continuous power rating. Often, they exceed these ratings.

Those Coolermaster units look very underbuilt to me... I would not expect 450w from the 450w.

Nothing can touch a PC Power & Cooling unit for accuracy and reliability. If you can't afford them an Antec TruPower PSU is a very reliable and affordable performer. Many reviews have found that these newcomers such as OCZ, Coolermaster, Vantec to the PSU scene all have inferior units propped up with bells and gimmicks to make them appealing. Lots of marketing hype and that's about all folks. :rolleyes:

iv had multiple ocz powerstreams and ALL have let me down...im never buying an ocz psu again. IMO they should stick to making memory like they actaully know how and leave psu's to fortron, antec and pcp&c

I still consider OCZ/Topower build quality to be roughly equal to Antec/CWT in general. Topower's lesser units, like the ones Tagan uses, are slightly worse. It's possible to get multiple failures with either, but unlikely. Not the best build quality one can buy, but far from the worst and usually good enough for most people. Can't beat the customer service and warranty, anyway, short of buying PC P&C.

There are others I do consider more reliable in general - Fortron and Zippy being two of those. However, the list of better built units is far shorter than the list of worse ones. The OCZ/Topower P6 units will probably stay in my top 5 recommendations for quite some time. That list at the moment in order of best to worst build quality is Zippy, Fortron, Seasonic, Topower/OCZ, and CWT/Antec.

The 550watt fortron is a good choice, however the fsp550-60plg is the one you should go for because it has the single 36amp +12v rail.

Back