• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Airflow = good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Muppetmower said:
Wow stunning case fatguy

Yeah, flat IDE cables suck. Spend 6 bucks and get greater cooling.

i have to contradict that...

I like my flat IDE cables better than round cables... What I do is make my own cables... get a razor, and make a slit between each wire in the flat cable... then you wrap it in electrical tape, and you're set...

this is better for me for 2 (performance, not aesthetical reasons) reasons...:

#1, they are MUCH easier to bend and form
#2, theres none of the thick rubber sleeving around the actual connector

the sleeving around the connector makes the wire MUCH harder to bend in small spots...

i vote for flat cables

unless you have rounded cables that are perfect length for your set up, go with flat, it takes a little while to get good at folding them but if you can get them to sit right against a panel they are less restrictive then round.

i have a question (i can't find anything on google)

but how do ppl make custom length IDE cables?? those connectors are hard as **** to press through the 80-pin wire...

solidsnake, i clicked on your sig about ur clean up wires guide and this isn't a guide yo... lol

Just to add, instead of using a vaccuum, I use a compressor like thing. It came with a water trampoline my family got. It pushes air out pretty fast, nothing as strong as a compressor, but neough to shake up all the dust in the case, then i just stcik the vaccuum in and its all gone!

Sniph said:
Just to add, instead of using a vaccuum, I use a compressor like thing. It came with a water trampoline my family got. It pushes air out pretty fast, nothing as strong as a compressor, but neough to shake up all the dust in the case, then i just stcik the vaccuum in and its all gone!

yeah, air compressor for blowing up car tires should work well...

then just blow out the dust, and vaccuum it out...

btw, I never said this was a guide... did I??

SolidxSnake said:
i have a question (i can't find anything on google)

but how do ppl make custom length IDE cables?? those connectors are hard as **** to press through the 80-pin wire...

I only made one, a while back for someone who needed a full 80 wire connector to mod his xbox what I did was line everything up just right and press it gently to set it, then put the plug between two small pieces of wood and compressed it in a vice to press the barbs all the way thru the wires, worked great.

pik4chu said:
I only made one, a while back for someone who needed a full 80 wire connector to mod his xbox what I did was line everything up just right and press it gently to set it, then put the plug between two small pieces of wood and compressed it in a vice to press the barbs all the way thru the wires, worked great.

sweet. Think a vise-grip would work?

Bench vice works great, I just don't think the guys in the shop would want me using the 6 Ton break press for making up cables. If you fold the flatones in half they get a little less ugly and you can just send them behind the drive cages. Asus was nice enough to add black ones with some mobos makeing them a little more unnoticable.
Where can you get 8 inch SATA cables? My drives are so close the signal could almost jump from the mobo to the drive.

SolidxSnake said:
i have to contradict that...

I like my flat IDE cables better than round cables... What I do is make my own cables... get a razor, and make a slit between each wire in the flat cable... then you wrap it in electrical tape, and you're set...

this is better for me for 2 (performance, not aesthetical reasons) reasons...:

#1, they are MUCH easier to bend and form
#2, theres none of the thick rubber sleeving around the actual connector

the sleeving around the connector makes the wire MUCH harder to bend in small spots...

i vote for flat cables

Ciffer said:
unless you have rounded cables that are perfect length for your set up, go with flat, it takes a little while to get good at folding them but if you can get them to sit right against a panel they are less restrictive then round.

wtf?! guide please?

zer0nix said:
wtf?! guide please?

guide for what? Makin your own round cables? Or for folding them?

Folding them isn't that hard, but it just takes too long for me. Some people can fold them so they are stealthed. They are the gray of the case, and they fold them alongside the case, barely visible.

makin your own round cables is easy. Look online for a self-made round cable. But instead of makin slits in every 4 wires, make slits in every wire. It makes it easier to bend.

millhouse said:
Hey, nice wiring job on the inside! Its very clean behind the mobo also. :)

P.S. I think vise grips would work as long as you do what pik4chu did with the wood pieces and be extra careful. Good luck! :thup:

thx. My wiring would be perfect right now, but my fortron died. So until that gets back up and running, im leavin my wirin like crap (almost as bad as how I got my computer from IBuyPower).

my wire cleaning experience was a good one. but before i cleaned up, i only had one psu. it could be better, but for 2 psu's in a mid case...
c is for cookie, my friends.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 140
millhouse said:
Hey, nice wiring job on the inside! Its very clean behind the mobo also. :)

P.S. I think vise grips would work as long as you do what pik4chu did with the wood pieces and be extra careful. Good luck! :thup:
ya you will want the wood in there to both protect the connector and help get an even pressure along the entire length. As for rounded Vs flat cables. IMO both have thier uses. However what works is to go buy some rounder cables, and cut off the rubber outside and replace it with elec tape. Done it in the past with great results, makes getting roudned cables a lot easier and still have the good felxibility, Havent done it to main rig cause only has 2 cables and are out of the way already. But in my old server I did that and worked like a charm, just make sure you dont cut a wire, though thats the same caution when making your own :)

p|astic said:
my wire cleaning experience was a good one. but before i cleaned up, i only had one psu. it could be better, but for 2 psu's in a mid case...
c is for cookie, my friends.

2 psu + mid case = holy ****

That looks good on the wiring... may I ask what kind of fan you modded onto your zalman (by the looks of it, its a 120mm fan on a 7700-Cu, but it may be a 92mm on a 7000Cu)

Back