• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Airflow = good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidxSnake

just went to town on my computer.... before, my computer was a tangled mess of yellow,red and black... now its nice and neat, and I can see my ram!!

i re-organized my wires, pulled off a fan grille from the power supply, re-seated and cleaned my CPU heatsink (stupid move cause im getting a Zalman 7000cu and a 92mm Panaflo this week, the panaflo to mod onto the Zalman)... i couldn't get much dust outta the machine, dunno what kinda vaccum to use (im scared to use a full-size high-power vaccum)

check out the shots at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/177176862WNNQMF/2

now, before i did this, my temps were:

57°C CPU
42°C Mobo

After about 10-20 minutes of folding

now its

41°C CPU
39° Mobo

that big of a difference =P

edit: got the pics workin, maybe the last 2 wont work

Last edited:
FYI: you have to copy/paste the links into your brower. They worked just fine for me.

It's always amazing what a little clean-up can do. The average computer can helped a lot with these free mods.

I'm afraid I've been guilty of such wiring crimes as early as this morning, well I cleaned up the wiring and my temps dropped 8* C at full load, the effect is truly amazing.

Excellent job!!! and congrats. Yet another sucess story.

There has been several threads lately on wire cleanup and organization. All have reported excellent results. Keep this in mind the next time someone posts a thread about temps.

You can often better your temps with $2.00 worth of wire-ties and a little patience more then you can with $100.00 worth of fans and a new HSF.

thx

for me, it was free, i have a metal can FILLED with twist ties... not plastic zip-ties, twist ties... i don't like zip-ties cause u gotta cut em if you want to get rid of it, and you cant reuse it =P

You really should not be using a vaccume cleaner, Anything that rubs on the inside of the intake tube will generate static and ALOT of it.
Ever wonder why woodworking shop dust control systems have a ground wire running in them? Its becuase static discharge+sawdust= BOOM!

sunrunner20 said:
You really should not be using a vaccume cleaner, Anything that rubs on the inside of the intake tube will generate static and ALOT of it.
Ever wonder why woodworking shop dust control systems have a ground wire running in them? Its becuase static discharge+sawdust= BOOM!

true.

id also like to say that removing intake filters will create better airflow (at least in my case) ive got a 2deg temp drop when i removed the front fan filter..

btw how do u like my wirin?? :D

p.s. this is an old pic when i first installed rig on the new case, my ide cable is now laying under the board and the psu cables are more managed.

Attachments

• Case.jpg
    Case.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 2,192
You could drop you temps more if you removed all the fan grills, espically the front fans

What if you unplug your computer and then try to vacuum inside the case?

Yes taking off all the fan grills that come with the case is a very good idea. And another good idea would to make a custom fan mount for a 120 in the front of the case. When it is where its normally supose to be(the front, blowing air straight) it is not blowing the air at an angle which can direct hot air better to the exhaust fans. Here's one that I did in my current case. It's a really simple mod that can get good airflow going in your case.

Also this can be done with 2 80mm also, just fit the support for the fan to fit around a 80mm fan.

MVC-021X.jpg

But good deal with the wiring, airflow is very good when trying to keep everything cool to the touch :)

PEACE

heh snake, i mounted my speakers the same way. except i have them mounted on the cieling, not the wall, and they point directly towards me. also i got 5.1. sweeeeet.

Really, i'd say screw a vacuum for the most part. Just buy a can of compressed air or two and blow the crap outta that pc from top to bottom. At the same time vaccum the dust that goes to the bottom and just repeat the process until satisfied. I highly doubt any vacuum on the market has the air pressure to suck all the tiny dust particles in tight spaces like a can of compressed air would be able to(it would blow it instead obviously). Thats my 2 cents for ya.

Back