• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Truth Behind Winbond UTT (OCZ Vx)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Ive gotten this info from an unnamed source and s/he will remain this way.

Anyhoo:

The leaders of both Winbond Dram and Twinmos Dram are very close friends. In a shady/under the table deal, Winbond agreed to ship raw "bh type" ICs to Twinmos. This IC then became Winbond UTT.

OCZ saw this in their fabs and thus rebranded the Twinmos and called it OCZ VX.

In actuality there are actually several UTT dies. Which are currentally being fabed in an Infineon factory side by side the Winbond stuff. Infact UTT has alot of roots in Infineon tech.

Overall there are 3 distinct types of UTT / BH type dies which are made in the *SAME* fab plant. One is found in ProMOS/Mosel as I had earlier suspected and confirmed. The other is pure Infineon based and the final is made by winbond themselves.

While the others are technically UTT dies they are not capable of the 222, even a high number of WInbond units are not. High enough that only OCZ decided to use it in its 2-2-2 form. Other companies had looked at such advances but the cost per unit was too high to justify it.

Basically in short the only good binned UTT is found in OCZ and Twinmos directally. All the others are "failed" UTT dies similar to what we know as CH5.

However I will stress that the UTT is NOT BH5 at all. They are made on different wafers and are a differnt die size wholly. Winbond does not plan to remake any of the true BH series and is unsure how long they will even make UTT.

I thought you guys would like to hear the truth for a change :)

Last edited:
Good info there bro. :beer:

Sounds spot on and I'd definately recommend the Twinmos Speed Premium sticks to someone looking for some great memory pretty cheap, though the VX warranty may be worth the premium if peace of mind is important to you.

I see some Intel stuff in yer sig. Ya tryin' out the other side for a bit?

thanks for the info bro.... glad I went with Twinmos instead of the other manufacturers using utt.

Sentential said:
Yea I got mighty sick of my Winchester. Couldnt stand it any longer.

IC. Looks like yer gettin' yer goods today then? Nice. I'm sure you'll let us know how it goes. Is that the newer Prescott M is it, with speedstep and other power saving goodies? I can't keep up with all the P4 flavors. I wish you luck with it.

TimoneX said:
IC. Looks like yer gettin' yer goods today then? Nice. I'm sure you'll let us know how it goes. Is that the newer Prescott M is it, with speedstep and other power saving goodies? I can't keep up with all the P4 flavors. I wish you luck with it.
Yea however its not a PentM its essentialy Prescott 2.0

Gotcha. I read a bit about them over at xbit. Sounds interesting. A little bit lower power consumption.

TimoneX said:
Gotcha. I read a bit about them over at xbit. Sounds interesting. A little bit lower power consumption.
And quite a bit higher clocks. Thats the more important issue ;)

Sentential said:

nice info on the memory before your post id only heard guesses as to how these were being manufactured/binned

im interested in your new p4 results as these chips are calling to me just wish i didnt have to get a new mobo and memory to run them (the dfi 875t wont)

hawtrawkr said:
nice info on the memory before your post id only heard guesses as to how these were being manufactured/binned

im interested in your new p4 results as these chips are calling to me just wish i didnt have to get a new mobo and memory to run them (the dfi 875t wont)
Yea man I hear ya. Too bad those ****ing commies at ZZF delayed my processing time for President's day. Now it wont be here till Thrusday :-/

_______

But as ive said. The source of this info is *very* credible and frankly it looks right to me.

Sentential said:
Yea man I hear ya. Too bad those ****ing commies at ZZF delayed my processing time for President's day. Now it wont be here till Thrusday :-/

laff i definantly feel your pain on that. wait times from zzf is the main reason i get alot of my stuff from the egg nowadays (love their process and ship times)

as far as what you said sounding right, it sounds like its right in line with the things ive been hearing (aside from the good friends part which i dont doubt) and kinda brings all the talk from one thread to another into focus.

hawtrawkr said:
laff i definantly feel your pain on that. wait times from zzf is the main reason i get alot of my stuff from the egg nowadays (love their process and ship times)

as far as what you said sounding right, it sounds like its right in line with the things ive been hearing (aside from the good friends part which i dont doubt) and kinda brings all the talk from one thread to another into focus.
True but it did have free 2nd day air....not that it matters anymore :bang head

Sentential said:

I saw that as well. 4.3 to 4.5Ghz appears to be within reach. Should make for an interesting match-up with Venice & San Diego, at least in some applications. I found the 3.73Ghz EE performance to be rather puzzling. It didn't seem to offer much of anything over the previous EE king, 3.46Ghz was it? You'd expect it to offer significantly higer performance, but it didn't appear that way. Well it was just one review, maybe they were drinking :beer:

g0dM@n said:
How come nobody responded to Crimedog?

UTT or BH5 doesn't seem to make much difference what it's called. They both behave very similarly, save that BH5 seems to be a little bit more capable in 256Mb(SS) form and UTT seems to be a bit more capable in 512Mb(DS) form.

TimoneX said:
UTT or BH5 doesn't seem to make much difference what it's called. They both behave very similarly, save that BH5 seems to be a little bit more capable in 256Mb(SS) form and UTT seems to be a bit more capable in 512Mb(DS) form.
Im not really sure what the *real* name for it is. Ill ask tonight.

Back