• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this "Black-light" mod work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem1x1

I went by Autozone, and picked up a blacklight that's made to plug in your car lighter. I cut the end off and wired it to a Molex connector. Anyone know if I'm doing something that will damage my PSU? I don't care if it bashes the light, but I thought it'd work. How 'bout it guys?

I have the same setup in my machine. No prob. I also got some flouresent paint to highlight the inside of the case. You might want to put a switch inline that you can control from the outside of the case.

I've hooked one up in my case before as well, didn't setup a switch (probably should have) just a molex connector to the end of the wires that I cut. Anyways, good luck... should be a reasonable simple project.

Works fine, that's how my neon light kit came, with a cigarette lighter attatchment, so you just wire into the PSU(or include a switch, really easy to do).

cars and computers run on 12volt DC so you will be fine! use the yellow wire to give it power!

I got one of those from autozone but it was a neon robe type thing, Its kind of lame, but I'm also not that creative.

As a matter of fact, I just finished my neon light mod about an hour ago. Just wire the 12+ into the yellow wire of a Molex connector, and the 12- wire to the black wire closest to the yellow wire, in the molex connector.

It's... so... beautiful! *tears up* There's something in my eye, I'm going to go "think" alone.

You know I've thought about putting a blacklight in my case but I know the one I had in my room long ago got really hot. I'm trying to cool my case down not bake cookies in it.

typhoonmike said:
You know I've thought about putting a blacklight in my case but I know the one I had in my room long ago got really hot. I'm trying to cool my case down not bake cookies in it.

Don't just plug it in! You need to take it down to 12 volts, and make sure it has low amps. My neon light operates at ~0.3Amps. You'll have to take off the AC/DC converter so that your black light runs on 12 volts DC, not 110/120 volts AC. Make certain it runs on less then .5Amps, or you will overdraw your PSU.

And also, be sure to wire in a switch, you don't want the light on all the time, it just wastes power. Flip the switch when you have friends over, or at a LAN party, and keep it off when you're alone.

a_yeap said:
Just wondering

IF a 'black-light' is actually UV light...or gives out UV light, then isn't it harmful to your eyes when you look at it?

It isn't the same as Ultaraviolet Radiation. It's just Ultraviolet light. It's the (I think I'm right) only part of the UV spectrum we can see. It's the parts we can't see that are harmful.

Well just went out and bought a green neon from AutoZone. Was originally just going to solder some wires onto the lighter plugin so in case the light ever went bad I could just take off the wires and return it for a warranty. I'm not good at soldering so I didn't manage to do that. I eventually just took the lighter apart and solder the wires together so I could still use the switch that came with the neon. Now to find a place to put the switch.

typhoonmike said:
Well just went out and bought a green neon from AutoZone. Was originally just going to solder some wires onto the lighter plugin so in case the light ever went bad I could just take off the wires and return it for a warranty. I'm not good at soldering so I didn't manage to do that. I eventually just took the lighter apart and solder the wires together so I could still use the switch that came with the neon. Now to find a place to put the switch.

Mine didn't come with a switch, so I had to add my own into the circuit. I drilled and filed a square hole into one of my 3.5" disk drive bays. I plan on drilling 4 more holes for my network activity lights.

Back