• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help, is this barebones kit worth the money to overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlanD911

Hey guys I was just surfing tigerdirect.ca and i saw that they had a sweet barebones kit! BUT i was wondering if these componants are worth the money in regards to overclocking! so here is a list of the parts and a link to the website.

Ultra UV Wizard Blue ATX Mid-Tower Case
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nVidia Socket 939 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 Processor
Seagate 120GB Hard Drives with NCQ (2)
XFX GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 Video Card (2)
Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory CL3 (2)
Sony DW-D22A Dual-Layer OEM DVD Burner
Nero Vision Express 3
Asus CRW-5232AS 52x32x52 CD-RW CD Burner
Aspire Multimedia Keyboard and Optical Mouse Combo (Blue)
Ultra 500-Watt ATX Power Supply

link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1229408&Sku=A455-2112 B

Not sure what an Ultra 500w PSU is nor am I certain what ultra 512Mb memory is, but I'd bet you could do better for $3120.

I have that PSU, but it came broken. The parts are amazing btw. Great gamer setup.

I've no problem with several of those parts. I wouldn't choose an FX-53, nor would I choose the Asus SLI board, but they're not horrendous choices either. I believe it would be possible to build a comparable system for less though.

Ah busted by that CAD thingy again. :)

I always forget there's currency other than USD in the world.

i dont know a whole lot, but would'nt he save a lot building himself?

edit, i missed the 2 vid cards

Last edited:
Probably not much saving as the price isn't so bad(after conversion), but you could certainly get pretty close to that price and have some higher quality components at a few points.

Back