• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Laptop CPXJ650GT Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

primal51

Registered
Hello everyone, been a while since I've been on here. Like 2 years, anyway got an interesting question for you.

I have a Dell Latitude CPxJ650GT laptop that a friend and I are trying to mod. This is the current specs:
CPxJ650GT A16 BIOS
650MHz/500MHz CPU Pentium III SpeedStep
2x256MB PC100 SODIMM
5.59GB HDD
24x CD Module/ Floppy Module
8MB ATI Mobile AGP2X Video

Now what we're trying to do is take his old PIII 1.0GHz SpeedStep and switch CPUs up, using the new heat pipe of the 1.0GHz over the 650MHz. I have done some research and found that the board will support the new CPU but only register it at 750MHz. Though this would be a useful upgrade, not really impressive. The next step for our mod is to take the 8MB ATI Mobile and switch it with his Geforce 2 32MB from his Dell that died, which is where the parts are coming from I should add.
The problem we know of upfront is that the CPU is controlled through the BIOS and can not be changed. I have done a search for anyone having tried a mod such as this and haven't found one. Perhaps those of us on here may know something? I figure some kind of BIOS hack would be required. Anyone have experience with these laptops that might be able to lend a hand would be very helpful.
Thanks Everyone.
Posted this in wrong spot first time. We'll see if I do better now.

this'll be quiet a project :)
modding a bios is serious business
i want to up my video too and have the same thing in my lappy, what's the model on that geforce 2?

thanks!
-d94

Well there is a lot of research to be done yet. Last thing I need is a dead laptop :temper:
As for the GeForce, I don't know it's at my friends place, I won't see him for a week so I really have no idea what to expect.

i would think it would be easier to figure out why his laptop is dead.

Back