• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding a Mac Mouse...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

Yeah....as many of you may have seen in my other thread (OF WHICH I DID NOT STEAL THE MOUSE!!!), I'm modding one of those round single-button mac mouse. I'm gonna put an LED in it, but i have no clue what to do...my camera sucks arse, so no pics either (.2 MP, anyone?)

can u make it have two buttons? I will never use a mac until they switch to a two button mouse with the option of a scroll wheel

adam, you dont have to use the mac mouse on a mac. they support all usb mice.

for the mod, all you need to do is find the power cables (usually red and black in electronics). then find what the voltage is, and figure out a resistor that will make it useable with an LED

add a second button . . . even if it does nothing, just to click it once in a while and keep your other finger alive.

The USB wire color coding standard uses red for +5v and black for ground (how novel). I can't remember which data cables are colored for D+ or D- but they're white and green and shouldn't be tampered with. As a general rule of thumb I use 1/4 watt 33ohm resistors when powering LEDs from +5v

You difficulty may actually be the fact that Apple is known for ignoring form factors and part standards. I wouldn't be too optimistic of the wires being color coded correctly, so you'll need to test them with a multimeter. I have also yet to see Apple manufacture a mouse that I find comfortable. Atleast they bothered to use USB so you can use something else.

Mac mice wern't made to be comfortable, they were made for use in cold conditions, in which you could still use your computer with mittens on. ;) lol

Ah, thanks Cpt. Slug, I'm using a LED-like light (which is HELLA powerful) that i got from a flashlight. That light gets powered directly from a AA battery...so will I need anything.

You know i don't see the meaning of modding this little fella. I tried some modding stuff. But as for me i don't have those nessesry skills to make it on a cool level. I painted once my MX510. Pretty cool but not as cool as it was. i saw lots of freaky mice. Find something on ebay. Also i tried to mod my Steelpad 4D but only thing i made is spoiled it. I was looking realy creepy but the glidence was still on the level.

Last edited:
Back