• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make sure your laptop battery lasts long

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question, is it good to leave the battery charger connected and still charging to laptop even though it has 100% battery life.

I have a question, is it good to leave the battery charger connected and still charging to laptop even though it has 100% battery life.

If the battery is fully charged and you don't plan to use it anytime soon. I would suggest removing it as long as it doesn't pose a hassle to do so.

The reason being; heat is the enemy of the battery. The less exposure to it, the happier it will be. On the other hand, you could buy a laptop cooler and feel worry free. They will blow air under the laptop to help keep it cooler.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I do have a question about trying to revitalize what appears to be a dead battery. I have this one battery that won't charge up. I read that putting it in the freezer over night could fix it. It's a Li-on type. Think it'll work? If not, you know what might?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Good thread. I didn't know it was recommended to remove the battery if you plan on keeping it plugged in. I never move my laptop and it always sits on my chill mat plugged in and 100%. So just take it out at 100% and power it through the ac or should I discharge it first?

Please note that modding Li-ion battery packs is risky. Li-ion battery cells can EXPLODE or catch fire if overcharged or mistreated!

That makes them alot more dangerous than NiCd or NiMH batteries.

Good thread. I didn't know it was recommended to remove the battery if you plan on keeping it plugged in. I never move my laptop and it always sits on my chill mat plugged in and 100%. So just take it out at 100% and power it through the ac or should I discharge it first?

I would take the battery out after it was fully charged until you needed it. Just don't leave it out for longer than a month without use. It's a good idea to use the battery up and recharge it at least each month. Keeps it in condition.

If it's on a cooler/chill matt, it should be fine to leave in all the time. But I would still use up the battery and recharge each month.

Oh man, you're not supposed to let the battery drain all the way every time these days? At least I know this now!

Maybe I ask what constitute as a "charge cycle"? If I charge til 80%, use it on battery down to 79%, charge it back up to 80% again, is it charge cycle? Obviously I am not doing that... just wanted to get some answers here. Right now I am still really confused in what to do to keep my battery healthy.

Which one should I be doing, given the choices:
1. charge til 80%, unplug, use til 20%, charge back up to 80%, repeat
2. charge til 80%, leave plugged but not charging (it actually says "plugged in, not charging" in Windows)

I am thinking 2 is probably the right choice, but I also don't know if Microsoft is lying to me or not... and it'll be too late when I find out if it is.

Also, if I leave my laptop unplugged for a day, and it loses 1% charge while powered off and I plug it back in when I use it to get it back up to 80%, that's a charge cycle? (only get 400-500 of these according to OP) :confused:

Advice? Excuse my noobness on batteries....:chair:

Wow so much info to take in... perhaps Too Smart, if you're willing, can you do a summary and update your first post? :D in order of most important to least important? Or if anyone else is up to the challenge!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back