• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9700np and Doom III

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fordsierra4x4

Now, I realise that my graphics card is horribly outdated - but I was hoping that someone could assist in tweaking my setup for Doom III.

In Far Cry and Half Life 2, everythings fine at 1024x768 with high detail, even AF in Half Life 2. Doom III however? eeesh....

The best i've ever managed is a 38fps timedemo at 800x600.

I'm pretty sure I can post higher numbers than that.

Currently, it's using the standard 'medium quality' setting, with these in addition:

r_useindexbuffers 1
r_usevertexbuffers 1
r_vertexbuffermegs 48
com_videoram 128
image_usecache 1
image_cachemegs 32
image_cachemink 4096
image_usenormalcompression 2
image_anisotropy 2

The card will clock fairly high on the core, but no higher than 300Mhz on the mem - cause it's ****ty 3.3ns Infineon. When gaming, ATITool is set to 345Mhz Core/300Mhz Mem.

I would have thought that upgrading from an AthlonXP 2700+ to an Athlon64 would provide some sort of performance increase....obviously not...

*sigh*

Hmm. Thats strange and that res. I used to get 60fps stable with my 9600, but I had it like you ut2k4 settings everything pretty off

Indeed it is strange. Whats even stranger, is that i'm running really tight timings on the card too.

TRCDRD: 5
TRCDWR: 1
TRP: 5
TRAS: 9
TRRD: 1
TR2W: CL+2CLK
TWR: 3
TW2R: 0
TW2R_SAME_BANK: Use TWR Rule
TR2R: 1 CLK

dude u should be getting way better than that try updateing the drivers and looking for things slowing ur rig down like spyware and u should look into a possible mod to a 9700 pro

Right - well straight off the bat, i can definitely rule out spyware - seeing as i'm firewalled upto the hilt, have AV and Microsoft antispyware running twice daily.

Secondly, this is on a fresh install with drivers that have no problem with Half Life 2 or Far Cry, Unreal 2, Quake III etc.

I can't possibly mod this to a 9700 pro - because as i stated, i have ****ty 3.3ns Infineon memory that will NOT clock higher than 300Mhz - hence why i trim the timings back.

There is absolutely no reason to "mod" your card to a 9700pro. It won't do anything at all. Doom3 is known not to be too good on ati cards. There is nothing wrong with your setup. Doom3 needs some x800 ati card to really run well.

I think i just registered this thread moot, seeing as i just compared the config i have with the config i used on my Radeon 9500np softmod. Changed r_swapinterval back to 0 and lo and behold - spikes upto 140fps...

Average framerate is now 53.3fps at 800x600 0xAA/2xAF

Back