• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does the P4 have built in temp sensor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hrmm well in that case how do i read the temps off of its probe and not the motherboard probe? because i know the motherboard probe is wrong but if the cpu has one built into it it cant be lying!

touser said:
hrmm well in that case how do i read the temps off of its probe and not the motherboard probe? because i know the motherboard probe is wrong but if the cpu has one built into it it cant be lying!

The P4 has a thermal diode inside the die. The motherboard probe on your board is reading that internal thermal diode. It's the motherboard probe on AMD motherboards that usually are off a little since the Athlon did not have an internal sensor. The new Palomino core does, but few if any motherboards are designed to read it. Anyway your temps look about normal.

thank you TC well the temps in my sig are coming from my digitalDoc now if you are saying that mbm5 is reading the internal temp sensor in the p4 instead of the motherboard probe then it is saying i am idleing at 44c! now i am not sure which to believe now..

Well it could be that MBM is not configured properly, but if you go into the bios and check the hardware monitor there you should get some idea of what the temp is. The mobo probe is reading the internal temp from the cpu. It doesn't have a thermistor in the middle of the socket like AMD mobos.

Back