• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI LanParty nF4 (Guide)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zebbo

Mushkin Tech Rep
There's always people who may need help with their motherboard, so again I decided to help out you guys who need this, also if you're planning to buy this mobo, this may be the thread you are looking for. So let me begin...

Official DFI NF4 sites
DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D
DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D
DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR

List of BIOS's
2.17 - Including MemTest 1.51
2.18 - Tweaked version from 2.17
3.09-2 (beta)
3.10-2 (beta)
3.10p
3.31 v1 - Includes MemTest 1.55
3.31 v2
3.31 v3
4.14 v1 - for TCCD / Support for Venice & San Diego
4.14 v2 - for UTT / Support for Venice & San Diego
4.14 v3 - for TCCD & UTT / Support for Venice & San Diego

List of useful tools
A64Tweaker 0.6 Beta - Tweak memory timings from Windows (URL will be added soon, last ftp went down)
ClockGen For nForce4 - Overclock from Windows
WinFlash 1.76 - BIOS flashing from Windows

Reviews
Anandtech: DFI nForce4: SLI and Ultra for Mad Overclockers
GameSpot Hardware: DFI NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard Review

Other important links
20-pin PSU kills components! (If you have 20-pin PSU, read this! *critical*)
**Official** DFI NF4 Ultra-D first look by bigtoe
DFI NF4 DR-SLI in the labratory! by krag
NF4 & MBM5 Settings by soundx98
techPowerUp! :: DFI LanParty NF4 Bios & Tools

Worth to take a look threads
The DFI NF4 stable settings thread by Super Nade

Word of caution
Before *ANY* overclocking, remember to flash 1.26 BIOS or newer to your board.

How-To Flash BIOS by pershoot
grab a bootable pure dos floppy disk (you can download dos image with 310 public release (NOT the "P" performance/beta version, but final version) on it, to be written to floppy above OR download bootable CDROM image w./ all bioses OR you can make one through your operating system: right click a: in my computer -> format -> check make ms dos startup disk) and place awdflash and bios file on this floppy. these can be found (dos flash util and bios file) above.

enter bios -> load optimised defaults -> y->save -> boot off disk -> follow flash instructions in the .txt that comes with awdflash.rar OR type 'flash' at A:, if using bootable dos image w./ 310 on it OR follow on screen instructions if using bootable CDROM image. If using the 'awdflash.rar method', remember to replace BIOSFILE.BIN with bios filename (awd859e BIOSFILE.BIN /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /LD /R /f) -> after it is done, it will reset on its own -> after reset, enter bios -> load optimised defaults->y->save->after POST finishes -> shutdown ->switch off PSU -> unplug -> wait for yellow lights to turn off -> press power a few times-> set clear CMOS jumper -> wait for 10 minutes->set jumper back -> plug in ->switch on -> power up -> enter bios -> load optimised defaults -> now configure your bios.

DIMM Slots
From page 21 of the lputnf4 847505101.pdf manual:

"A DIMM's SPD is originally fixed at 1T. When modules are inserted
in DIMM 1 and DIMM 3, the SPD must be 2T for better system
stability. We recommend inserting DIMMs in DIMM 2 and DIMM 4."

This is applies for 2x512 in dual channel mode.

4V for VDIMM
There's one thing people have been wondering, after jumper is set to 4V vdimm mode, BIOS only shows VDIMM up to 3,2V. You have to set your CPU VID Control to something else then "AUTO". If you don't set it to something else, you are not able to use higher than 3,2V vdimm. Voltages above 3,2V doesn't work if you don't have 24-pin ATX-connector.

*NOTE*

Remember, after you set jumper to "extend 4V vdimm", it draws power from your PSU's +5V rail and generates more heat to PWM area than jumper on +3,3V rail. Use decent cooling for best overclockability and performance.

Something missing?
As before, if you have anything you think should be added, let me know and I'll do so. You can send me e-mail, contact me via messenger or PM me.

Last edited:
The MOSFET that should be cooled (specially with +5) is the one that is sinked right by the jumper (right hand side of the board).

Let's keep this thread on top. Post any reviews and links to other threads. I'd appreciate it as much as the whole forum :)

yeah there DEFINATELY needs to be a sticky for this board....

edit: my floppy drive dont work, i think it was because of the cable sent with the board. might wanna add that. (saw it on dfi street)

n24tg said:

edit: my floppy drive dont work, i think it was because of the cable sent with the board. might wanna add that. (saw it on dfi street)

mine dfi floppy cable works

n24tg said:

Can you say are there lot of broken FDD cables? Can you post the url to that thread on dfi street?

meionm: thanks for that linkie :)

This is some good advice by mr bigles XS;

Originally Posted by Mr. Bigles
New to A64 Oc'ing myself, not so new to oc'in.... I used a method on my new set up that i used w/ NF2.

#1) Find max HTT........ drop cpu multi to 6x, drop ram divider to (100) start moving HTT up from 200, when you cannot boot into win then back the HTT down 5%, note: keep HTT X LDT multi below 1000 for now.. i.e. : HTT @ 250XLTD @ 4x =1000, go over 250 HTT then drop LTD to 3x and cont.
now you know max HTT setting. (topped @ 345, plenty high to get the oc i want to run @)

#2) find max cpu.. leave ram @ 100 back HTT back to 200, cpu multi back to defualt (believe it is 10x on 3200). work your way upon the HTT, I just ran a 1m on superpi as a quick check for stability. if you error out on it, then add a wee bit of vcore and keep going till you reach the max of the chip. I topped out @ 2.3 on my weak winnie @ 1.6 vcore stable... 1.8 vcore got me to 2.5 but not stable. Do not suggest going over 1.6..

#3) now you have a good idea of what the board and cpu are capable of doing.. time to tune in the memory.... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...hp/t-49898.html.. good post on this and download the helper program, will tell you what to set your divider to given your HTT............. not going to try and give any advice on timings still learning them myself.

the above takes a while but pretty safe.....

What bios are you guys using. I dunno, but I havent even flashed my bios with anything new. Just whatever it came with when it was shipped. and havent had any problems at all, i overclocked my a64 1.8 (3000) to 2.4 without any problems.

2.18 for me

these new bioses are fixing pretty much only some of the memory issues, 2.18 bios is recommended for people who are using OCZ VX series or Corsair XPERT (Tref: 3120 Cycles)

Back