• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelted northbridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeyLikesItSI

I'm just wondering if any intel chipset owners ever tried to pelt their northbridge. Considering its the main go-between for the mem, cpu, pci/agp... just a thought

I havent done it myself mainly bacause 1) I have been told that it doesnt do anything for you and 2) the northbridge has never been the limitaion of my system. Waterblocks essentially keep it near ambient, which is bout a 40C drop from stock. My NB has been run at 265fsb, stock cooling ,with no problems, so with the 40C drop giving you 16-24 more fsb (2-3% more overclock per 10c drop rule of thumb) you should expect to at least hit 280 fsb with a waterblock.

Yep, did two different Motherboards with i875p. I use a 80 watt pelt and get 6c to 30c. Can't prove any drastic performance increase but it don't hurt nothing ether. Unless you get moisture in the AGP socket, lol was the only problem I had but careful insulation fixed that.
asus6.jpg
asus7.jpg
asus9.jpg
asus10.jpg

Finished, The front green sleeved wire is blue LED's in the lexan top, and the green fan connector in back is to the temp sensor. The pelt power wires attach to a terminal strip mounted on the CPU block.

asus12.jpg

Wstinkbait said:
Yep, did two different Motherboards with i875p. I use a 80 watt pelt and get 6c to 30c. Can't prove any drastic performance increase but it don't hurt nothing ether. Unless you get moisture in the AGP socket, lol was the only problem I had but careful insulation fixed that.

Finished, The front green sleeved wire is blue LED's in the lexan top, and the green fan connector in back is to the temp sensor. The pelt power wires attach to a terminal strip mounted on the CPU block.

is that a fan shroud over your ram?

Wstinkbait said:
Yes, 3 x 40 mm fans on a sheet of plexi. and attached via standoffs to the Motherboard mounting studs.

looks great :thup: ive always just suspended my fans over my ram/mosfets with wire and it looked like crap. think im going to setup something like that up for my mosfets though.

This is a two fan version on a Gigabyte MB.
Make a template of the four mounting holes that surround the ram aera from the back side of the motherboard. You can try to measure but that never works for me. Power them any way you like, I use the molex so I can remove it easy to have access to ram. Even added a 5v connector for LED's

memorycooler1.JPG
memorycooler2.JPG
memorycooler3.JPG
memorycooler4.JPG

memorycooler9.JPG
memorycooler6.JPG
memorycooler11.JPG

Thats pretty ill man, have you thought about full time producing these?? I'm sure you could make some money off of them...they look pretty sleek...

I don't think I would make much and would have to tool up and buy supplies. I think it's more fun for peeps to mod there own cases.

Fans alone were about $40.00 but I use the lighted fans and Decorative grills. With plane black fans and wire grill would be considerably cheaper but look boring.

Blue LED 40mm Fans $8.00 x 3 = $24.00
Decorative 40 mm grill $4.50 x 3 = $13.50

The brass standoffs are M3 thread x 30 mm and I use 3 per leg.LINK to make an easy fit into standard case jack screws. This was the easiest way to mount the plexi to the top and use the standoff to secure the motherboard. I used to get them from PCModz before they merged with Directron. they were actually spare parts for clear cases to mount the floppy drives. Now I can't find them any more. A long screw and plastic spacer would work just as well.

Back